Containers to bleach live rock in

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to bleach my live rock and start over again with my tank.
I was going to bleach and soak the rock in 2 containers that housed pool chemicals
BROMINATING TABLETS and SHOCKWAVE.
Does anyone see an issue ? I’ve cleaned the buckets and rinsed them out and added prime. Should I just get new buckets?
I know tanks contain some of the things that were house in these buckets like bromine, chlorine (which I’m putting back in)
Calcium hypochlorite -
but I didn’t know since it’s pool grade and would that leach into my rock even though after they are bleached they will be soaked in prime and air dried before I cycle

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rubbermaid totes are cheap. I'd get one large enough to hold all your rocks and be done with it. Why worry???

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rubbermaid totes are cheap. I'd get one large enough to hold all your rocks and be done with it. Why worry???
Did it before with tubs and the thing bowed on me
I’m only doing 30lbs so was hoping to do it small scale bucket that’s stiffer

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bleached it is no longer live rock...dead as a nail rock and you will have to go through all the ugliness all over again and yet it will never be as good as live rock from the ocean.

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bleached it is no longer live rock...dead as a nail rock and you will have to go through all the ugliness all over again and yet it will never be as good as live rock from the ocean.
When you have vermetid snails , wirey red algae etc and starting a new tank....theres no reason for me to bring this over to a new system.
This rock has been dead and bleached before, I brought it over to the one that I am currently taking down several years ago and it was made "live" again.
People purchase dead rock and make it live all the time , saying it will never be as good as being plucked from the ocean is debatable when you can control what "begins" in your tank
I have no time limit to cycle my tank
I dont care about the uglies because I just accept that as part of creating a new tank, I ride it out and it should theoretically go away in time.
If there was a way to "save" my rock and somehow exterminate the vermetids I would, everyone Ive asked has told me this is my option other than buying new "live" rock which has who knows what on it

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always started with "dead" rock as well. On my current system I did move a couple pieces of rock from my old tank to the new, but put them in the sump.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to your original question, if you've thoroughly cleaned, rinsed and dried the buckets you should be ok. I've used paint buckets. [pickle buckets, drywall buckets and never had any concerns or problems. The pvc buckets many products are sold in don't tend to absorb the chemicals, at least to any significant level.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back