contemplating on getting an aio

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for a while i have always wanted a lagoon or shallow reef tank and i just wanna nuke my recent tank because its not going well and i kind of want to upgrade so i can have more stable parameters because i eventually wanna keep anemones in this tank and my budget for it all is 600-800$ it can be an aio or a custom but it has to have everything i need minus like little things like thermometers heaters ect but i just need help with making a new one as i dont have much time to sit down for an hour or two and do it and i would like to have a clean palate and do it right from the start this time as i set up my other tanks in a hurry so feel free to say anything the only requirements are it has to include everything i need to get it up and running (sand rock i have 40 lbs here, lights for display i already have refugium lights a sump plumbing a stand i can build my own if i need too a rimed or rimmless tank rimless is preferred and glass wave makers overflow boxes return pumps everything) i would like to see what you guys come up with i have a thought in mind but im not to sure yet and i think it is fun planning for builds and imagining it in your head also its display size has to be bigger than 25 gals as that is my current size

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just wanna nuke my recent tank because its not going well
This is 100% the wrong way to look at it. Your next tank will be the same as your current tank with the thinking that you currently have. You are just wasting your money, creating another version of what you current tank. It is much better to work to understand why your current tank is failing and correct it than to just start over. To be sure there is a point where you need to start over, but even then when you start over your current tank will be the same as your new tank success wise.

Seriously consider your upgrade. My two cents.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have for like 2 weeks and i do feel like that but im just not satisfied at all with my current set up is what i meant as i feel like i am limited and i just have some sort of feeling that having a new slate for this will feel like im starting anew and i made some rookie mistakes when first setting it up and that could have done me over for a long time the main thing i am looking here is stability that is all and with the current tank i am running i dont have enough sump space and i dont want to end up using a sump and canister filter otherwise my setup would not look as clean as i feel and it is my dream tank that i have always been wanting in this hobby for over a year now and i just feel like i would feel better about my tank or something like that sorry that was hard to read

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhh I don't know...what's wrong with your current tank?

I ask because a simple IM25 lagoon was a very easy tank for me to run. I find 20-30g tanks to be perfect for stability yet ease of maintenance or easy to reset with a big water change.

I would disagree with something in the 25g range not being stable enough.

This was my 25g lagoon and it was very basic. Filterfloss (changed once a week)..a little bag of carbon (changed monthly) and waterchange twice a month. I hand dosed 2 part for a long time until I set up a jebao doser.

That's it. It didn't have a sump nor did I need space for anything.

imageproxy (4).jpeg

People with large tanks have problems too and post for help all the time. You might be dissappointed if it isn't a magical fix and now you have a tank with a larger volume of problems.

Also it's better to have a small tank with reliable/good equipment then a half-done large one imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aside from the tank restart i just would like a nicer looking one because the tank and stand i have now i dont really like because it is rimmed and my stand looks like it was from ikea

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aside from the tank restart i just would like a nicer looking one because the tank and stand i have now i dont really like because it is rimmed and my stand looks like it was from ikea
I totally feel your pain I have been putting up with my 20 breeder for 6 years now. It is a mess. I have done and learned many many things that I will incorporate in my new tank (I am just now setting up), but one thing I understand the new tank isn't a dream tank and neither will any other tank I set up in the future. It is just a tank and it will evolve and change as my understanding and the industry change. Each tank will be for sure better but I have had to learn how to undo the mistakes I have made and I spend more time figuring out how to fix the problems on my tank than I do actually looking at it. It is a process and you need to get to the end of the tank and squeeze out every bit of understanding from it before your next tank will be any better than your current one.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright thats is some really helpful advice and yeah my dream dream build is to have a 1000 gall build that is a shallow reef style but ik that wont be possible due to space rn lol and money

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah i think i forgot to mention this but i was supposed to have a drilled overflow box but i got chickened out ik its easy but we test drilled it and it made me worry so that also another big reason i want to get an aio just so i can have it drilled for me and the one i am looking at has a sump with it and plumbing but it is way out of my budget so idk what to do as in that but i do know i want a upgrade and a different layout so right now i have it resting on a stand long side facing the wall i want to have one that its short side is facing the wall so i can have better mobility around it kind of like a peninsula tank or like those frag tanks but a bit taller if anybody knows what i mean

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want a clean looking tank then I recommend an IM 25 lagoon. The footprint is very easy to light and to get flow correct which saves time/money.

It does not have a sump, you keep saying "AIO" and "Sump" but an AIO is not a sump, it is just a back compartment to hide small things like heaters and media baskets.

I don't believe there is any drilled tank with a sump in your range. You would need to drill it yourself.

With a budget of only 600-800 dollars, I would stick to a clean looking nano. Innovative marine is very popular and clean. For $350 dollars you get a rimless tank with a sock, media basket, return pump, and a lid.

Keep in mind if you want a finished/prefab stand, they usually cost as much/more than a tank. The IM one is $350. Thats $700 before light and powerhead/heater. Something in your budget has got to give.

My first tanks were 20g petco and 40B petco tanks. I had used Koralia powerheads and even bought used black LED boxes. They did wonderful and grew corals and clams. It was the only way I could afford to be in this hobby when I was in college. It doesn't matter what the tank is made of, you still have to be able to maintain it. Corals don't care if your tank is rimless or not.

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i now realize what my budget gets me it honestly reminds me of computer building where your budget does not quite meet you expectations for parts because i would love to have a lagoon tank that is bigger than my current tank however i saw a really cool tank at my lfs and i dont remember how many gallons it was but it almost reminded me of a frag tank and it was also drilled at the bottom and it had a stand i might have to take another trip there to check out prices

Lazerith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox Peninsula mini 25 AIO is a nice tank, with split pay, it only cost $60 every 2 weeks for 4 payments. Super easy on the pocket. If you got lights and sand then your set, just build a stand and canopy, that is exactly what I did.

386B8024-218D-4C4A-8C35-B1FF38BC1E11.jpeg 3BFC3C79-95AE-4CA2-AAD1-D6A489EF7418.jpeg 13A4CB51-935A-4E53-8493-1E23C8BF7341.jpeg 0B9E4A9F-6342-49EB-A0A7-72A67EC30EDD.jpeg 04EC6317-3423-43D7-8768-8D9DBA396244.jpeg

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i figure im going to get a 50-80 gal display tank that is peninsula style or just long and ill just get a overflow box and ill make the stand that way it is cheaper and then ill prob need suggestions on a sump on what to get? but let me finalize the selection on the main display first this wont be an absolute decision it will make a list and adjust accordingly

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think AIOs are great. I have an IM 20 peninsula AIO, IM 25 lagoon AIO, and a waterbox 45 with a sump. I definitely prefer my AIOs, so much easier imo especially when it comes to water changes.
41675B24-03F9-455E-A813-905AED518CF8.jpeg

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i found that one tank that i thought looked cool and its not bad but its really overpriced especially for not having a stand

Seapora 80 Gallon RIMLESS Reef Ready Aquarium 48x24x16

OP
OP
Engrene4

Engrene4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might just do that considering my budget also where should i get the glass are there any good sources you guys know of?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i found that one tank that i thought looked cool and its not bad but its really overpriced especially for not having a stand

Seapora 80 Gallon RIMLESS Reef Ready Aquarium 48x24x16

Keep in mind the cost if lighting these tanks is pretty dang pricey unless you do black box led. Flow can also be expensive. Again there are cheap brands. Anything cheap has no warranty and could break but they can also work...it's a crap shoot.

I have this exact tank and paid around 400 at a LFS for it which I thought was a good price.

Last edited:
Back