Contest of the Dwarf Angels: Which One to Choose?

Which angelfish should I choose? (Hardiness, compatibility)

• Coral Beauty

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • Flame

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • Atlantic Pygmy / African Flameback / Brazilian Flameback

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Half Black

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Rusty

• Multicolor

• Other

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a problem with getting angel to live as long as they are eating at the LFS they are fine for me

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the reasonably priced angels, flame is my favorite. Potters second, but much more difficult. I really like the lemonpeel and put up with one in my tank.

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a potter's angel which was a great fish for many years.

I have a atlantic now, though I would have picked up the flameback angel if I could have found one when I was ready for fish.

I think the golden angel is gorgeous... but try finding one.

butrflynlambie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the Eibli should be on the list.. gorgeous fish. I see them in the stores pretty frequently.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is just 36 inches. The tank is too small for an african flameback and loriculas. They will get to aggressive and the risk that they will be eating corals are bigger the smaller the tank is.
The one that seems to do best in such a small tank is probably the Coral beaty.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually IME, Africa Flame back, Flame, and Coral Beauty, the CB is the largest, then Flame and Africa Flame back. Africal Flame Back, Atlantic Flame Back and Cherup are the Pygmy, and smallest of Dwarf Angels.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf Angels, unlike tangs, need a lot of crevices and cracks in the rock structure for them to be comfortable. They darts in and out of the rock. They don't go tear down the front of the tank like tangs. Length of the tank is important for tangs but not so important to angels, especially dwarf angels. @Zionas reef tank is a 85 gal 3'X2'X2' is plenty big for any of the dwarf angel harem of 2-3 fish, even the larger of the dwarf angels.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a four year old coral beauty. Model citizen. Had to get rid of a bicolor with a taste for scolys
My question is my Lfs has a real nice same size potters angel for sale. Why do threaders say more difficult and will it go after the coral beauty Or soft corals?

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d appreciate it if someone could make a ranking of the dwarf angels from most hardy to least. Are they all (even the pygmies) capable of living 10+ years?

Also, I came across two new species: the Pacific Pygmy (which sells for very cheap) and the Fisher’s (which is the most expensive right after the Multicolor, on par with the Flame).

African Flameback / Atlantic Cherub sell for OK prices with the latter more expensive, while the rest sell for just a bit over 10 USD.

Which ones can thrive in a newly established system?
All.angels will need a fairly established system as they love to graze, except maybe genicanthus angels. Most angels from centropyge are of equal difficulty with a few exceptions like the potters, colins and golden possibly a few more like the bicolour dont always do well. Members of the genus paracentropyge are very difficult and will need a well established tank

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dwarfs? Ever look at the Genicanthus family of angels? Ok, so they don't have the bright colors of some of the other angel families... still, quite beautiful animals, if you take the time to look. And... reef safe, and generally non aggressive.

Spotbreast, Lamark's, Watanabei, Bellus...

I've got a female Spotbreast and a juvenile Lamark's. Love 'em both :)

Lamarks.jpg

Spotbreast.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally think flames are among the prettiest fish in the hobby. yeah they're fairly common, but still awesome fish. mine has been a model citizen coral wise and hasn't been overly aggressive (he was a goon when i put him in the tank and went at it with my female clown for a week or so)

that said, most angels are gorgeous fish, but you have some listed that are known to be a lot less reef safe. i also really like multicolors and want to get one of those once i get a tank big enough to house more than 1 angel

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my (or som of my customers) limited experience the African flameback will reach 3,5 inches and the Coral beaty 4 or maybe just a ljttle more in a small tank. And the flameback will be more aggresive and swim around more.
I wouldnt recommend Flame angels and Flamebacks for tanks less than 4 feet.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True they can reach 7" but dwarf angels are not reef safe.
The trailer account for 1.5 inches of the total length, but still the tank is only going to be 3 foot. These fish are more open water rather than darts in and out of rock like dwarf angels. I think they are completely unsuitable for a 3 foot tank.

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long with a pair of clowns, do you think I could fit any of the listed angelfish in there or would that not be ideal?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back