Contest winner

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deadlines are usually mentioned when the winner is announced and sometimes in the official rules of that contest or giveaway

Just to play devils advocate...shouldn't the rules be posted in the main entry? I mean if nowhere in the official post does it say there is a 48 hour deadline and that you must follow the thread to make sure you won (ie you may not be notified by pm). Is it fair to assume that everyone who entered would just know these unspoken rules?

To be clear, I have never won anything so I really don't have any ulterior motives. Just trying to see if there may not be a better way to communicate the rules.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading a thread where the winner missed out by less than a day because he didn't know he won. The responses were essentially, you should have been following and you were tagged and should have gotten an alert. It got me thinking, is there a reason they (whoever is in control of the contests) seem to be against sending a pm? What could it hurt?

It's also kind of frustrating that my alerts do not work correctly. I straight up just don't get notified of many new posts on most of my watched threads. I messaged a mod about it but never heard back. Anyone else have this issue?

To clarify, it only seems to happen in threads I haven't actively visited or posted on in a few days, even though all my alerts are turned on and I am watching the thread.
It’s for participation. It was explained in that thread that you should keep an eye on the contests if you entered.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to play devils advocate...shouldn't the rules be posted in the main entry? I mean if nowhere in the official post does it say there is a 48 hour deadline and that you must follow the thread to make sure you won (ie you may not be notified by pm). Is it fair to assume that everyone who entered would just know these unspoken rules?

To be clear, I have never won anything so I really don't have any ulterior motives. Just trying to see if there may not be a better way to communicate the rules.

The rules of the contest are posted at the beginning of the contest. The rules for claiming the prize of the contest is posted when the winner is announced.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a giveaway disclaimer stickied at the top of this forum. I agree it should include the 48hrs to claim prize in that sticky. I guess I just know that is generally what happens in the giveaway forum after entering and seeing the time limit in the announcement posts.

The contests I have seen that PM or email someone have generally been in a sponsors forum, not the giveaway forum.

@revhtree would have to make a decision on including that in the sticky or as part of the post on each new contest

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rules of the contest are posted at the beginning of the contest. The rules for claiming the prize of the contest is posted when the winner is announced.
Exactly this. If you you read through the entire first post of a contest it always tells you if it is claimed via a PM or that the winner will be named and has 48 hours to claim.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was one of the sump giveaways. You can read the last 2 pages and see the issue. I honestly think the guy was right but if the owner of the forum disagrees with you I guess your out of luck lol.

At the end of the day I guess it really doesn’t matter what I think and I’d rather accept that then get into an argument with anybody on here. I like this forum too much for that! :)

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on that contest thread. I would have to disagree with you on that one he did not claim it in time they don’t have to pm you to let you know you win it tells you to pay attention to the thread for the winner.
Also look at how many tags he got when he won don’t think he had his alerts on.

To be totally honest I think it’s on us the reefers if you take the time to enter to win something take the time to check in if you win it’s a contest don’t look for someone to pm you. Also if you are always on the reef I think you would know to take a look and see if you win.
Plus he got something for nothing when others got nothing should be more than happy to be part of this reef.

Got to put this out there you know how many of us was happy when he did not claim it man the reef was waiting for that redrawing [emoji23][emoji23]sorry had to get it out your fault [emoji23][emoji23]

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back