OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I read the diagram right, you are slowly adding low salinity water to the system. How are you accounting for the slow rise in salinity? Do you have a water change system where you pull out a certain amount and replace with fresh?

That’s one of the things that I can’t understand it myself, since I’ve started this experience I’ve added about 30l of phytoplankton at 1.020 I add 1.015 to the phytoplankton reactor as that’s the sweet spot for evaporations in relation to the amount I dose. I rarely do any water changes but the main tank is still on 1.025 since I’ve started there was no change in salinity.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagram makes perfect sense, and I have an extra Dos pump! So at my 500 gallons multi tank system do I just times the output by 8?

I think that the right answer is in time maybe depending on how much life you would have in your tank to feed, I’ve started from a 500ml reactor dosing 1ml every 60 minutes as more life been introduced I could see the tank needing more so I’ve increased the reactor to a 1500ml and slowly increased the phytoplankton dose in the months followed, a bit similar to carbon dosing you will have to start slowly and Reed your tank.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was something I tough in sharing, never in a million years I tough anyone would be interested in mimic, would it be best if I try and do a complete write up showing how to build the reactors and maybe a way to implement it?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one of the things that I can’t understand it myself, since I’ve started this experience I’ve added about 30l of phytoplankton at 1.020 I add 1.015 to the phytoplankton reactor as that’s the sweet spot for evaporations in relation to the amount I dose. I rarely do any water changes but the main tank is still on 1.025 since I’ve started there was no change in salinity.

While it is true that evaporation accumulates minerals in system, it is much more complex than that.

Inorganic minerals & nutrients are assimilated into organic biomass of fish, coral and plants. Nutrient recycling in a reef tank is Dynamic.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic topic and thank you for sharing.
Do you have any lighting module attached to phyto reactor?

Not attached directly, I do have the refugium lights working both the fuge and the reactor to save adding more plugs

783c04b12fdfddd7b6c4fb9d18ef23e9.jpg

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was something I tough in sharing, never in a million years I tough anyone would be interested in mimic, would it be best if I try and do a complete write up showing how to build the reactors and maybe a way to implement it?
Yes, that would be great.

I'll (slowly) try and emulate as another test point over the coming months if feasible.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that would be great.

I'll (slowly) try and emulate as another test point over the coming months if feasible.

Cheers, Tony

If you try it be sure to share your results mate, would be cool to see if others see the same results

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool idea! Good work! I look forward to following your progress, and maybe setting something like this up myself in the future.

Thanks mate, it came up as an accident but am really pleased with the results so far, I think the only thing left to do now is to stop fighting the low no3 and let it see how it works on a ULN system, plz don’t hate me but I did some experiments with fish decease on my system also and an update is due soon too.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think this approach is something we have all missed out on for 2 long, we tried to have squeaky clean SPS tanks with zero nutrient levels. Having read numerous threads in here and followed you on UR, Ive decided to go back to nature, I’ve ordered a sump that will allow a large algae bed and started culturing my own phyto, rotis a month ago and yesterday copepods. Im not automated yet as waiting for my new sump to arrive, I have been dosing a cup full of phyto a day for a month or so now and introduced pods and rotis as well, I have seen some small changes in polyp extension, and the tank looks healthy.. thanks for being chief guinea pig on this, I think it will be of interest to @Lasse @Scrubber_steve @Jomama it wouldn’t surprise me if Lasse has done some industrial version of this at his aquarium that he can share with us...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back