OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenges is to set the amount of fluid that each bottle receive, so that the level of the reactor stay constant. I have to adjust it several time. It could be that y doing pump calibration is off.

Thanks for your instructions.

Worth a check, how much is your initial dose to each container? Am curious to see how you do with the grow light to?

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to try something like this but never gotten around to setting it up. I raise rotifers anyway to feed my clownfish fry. What would be the advantage of this besides space over just haveing it dosing from a 5 gal. culture bucket? I feed RG Complete to the rotifers so that takes out the phyto part.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to try something like this but never gotten around to setting it up. I raise rotifers anyway to feed my clownfish fry. What would be the advantage of this besides space over just haveing it dosing from a 5 gal. culture bucket? I feed RG Complete to the rotifers so that takes out the phyto part.

It feels the gap mentioned in this video 5:24 onwards.

The advantage is that the system if fully automated and the cultures are on a continuous mode. No need to split cultures or start new culture etc...
all it’s needed is to add new salt water and fertiliser once a week in my case.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned something new today, wasn’t aware that rotifers were attracted by light.

Any how a small vid of the culture check today 20ml sample

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It feels the gap mentioned in this video 5:24 onwards.

The advantage is that the system if fully automated and the cultures are on a continuous mode. No need to split cultures or start new culture etc...
all it’s needed is to add new salt water and fertiliser once a week in my case.

Right. In my case though since I'm already culturing rotifers for my clownfish I might just set up a container that will hold a day or two supply and fill it up when needed from my culture bucket. I may set something up this weekend. I have a spare litermeter sitting around.

Not much to update, so tough in sharing a video from the refugium

Very nice! I have always thought the microfauna was very important in a healthy reef. When my tanks have been doing well there were abundant copepods, amphipod, isopods, etc. When they were doing poorly there weren't nearly as many pods.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic thread!
What doser did you use Sixty_reefer? With only $80 on whole system.

Am hoping am not misguiding anyone on the build budget as I am in the UK, I bought a second hand aqua medic 4 channel unit for the equivalent to 50$ and a eheim 200 air pump for 20$ unfortunately I never owned any equipment from new. Am guessing all the equipment listed above new could cost a few hundreds.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. In my case though since I'm already culturing rotifers for my clownfish I might just set up a container that will hold a day or two supply and fill it up when needed from my culture bucket. I may set something up this weekend. I have a spare litermeter sitting around.

Very nice! I have always thought the microfauna was very important in a healthy reef. When my tanks have been doing well there were abundant copepods, amphipod, isopods, etc. When they were doing poorly there weren't nearly as many pods.

Am with you, I did notice the same I must admit that my favourite Cuc is actually spaghetti worms, probably very overlooked but there isn’t any buildup of detritus in the DT thanks to them. Unfortunately is not a look that many would like to have, but I do admire all the life in the reef and it brings me hours of joy observing them.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am with you, I did notice the same I must admit that my favourite Cuc is actually spaghetti worms, probably very overlooked but there isn’t any buildup of detritus in the DT thanks to them. Unfortunately is not a look that many would like to have, but I do admire all the life in the reef and it brings me hours of joy observing them.

When I first got into reef tanks I bought my live rock piece by piece. I would get a piece of Florida live rock and stare at it for hours watching all the life that would pop out of it. Sometimes I enjoyed looking at the rock more than the fish and corals.

sandswhitson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an idea I have wanted to try for a long time just dont have the room to do it easily. May have to start thinking about it again.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into reef tanks I bought my live rock piece by piece. I would get a piece of Florida live rock and stare at it for hours watching all the life that would pop out of it. Sometimes I enjoyed looking at the rock more than the fish and corals.

Ditto, every now and den I stumble into interesting pieces myself

e42cd07ebaaecc4ab8028d1e27fc3079.jpg

3208fd085b2e545fcb1397168d0c1378.jpg

Then I bring it home and if I like it I try and seed the tank with the stuff I find. This is one of my favourite so far. Would be glad if one day all my rockwork would look like this.

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your nudibranchs and your hydroid problem? You also mentioned organizing this thread into a single instruction. Any progress?

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on your nudibranchs and your hydroid problem? You also mentioned organizing this thread into a single instruction. Any progress?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Him mate sorry been really busy at work, as an update

Nudibranch

At a close inspection they weren’t the ones I’ve ordered they were hypselodoris apotegma close relative of the bullocky nudibranch and almost identical except for the skirt. That said the nudibranch failed to eat the hydroids. One was munched by my wrasse on week 1, a few days later I’ve lost my wrasse to am taking poison due to eating the nudy. And the other lived well till a couple a days ago in my research it says they live up to 8 months in the wild so am taking he was just old and perish.

That said was only left with the febenzadole. Done 2 treatments to the tank in the last month killed a couple softy’s including my lovely gorgonians. Am now only left with sps and lps. It was effective at killing the zanclea hydroids but at a fairly large cost.

At the moment am considering dropping the hole phytoplankton experience just for the fact that I can get to bring up my no3 it has been a constant battle and I am now dosing 40ml of ati N to keep it at detectable levels. I’ve reduced all back to 1ml an hour in hope that this helps. I am also in hope that the febenzadole has killed some of my filter so that things get a bit more controllable.

On the plus side the medication killed all my bristled worms something that I’ve been trying to deal for a long time.

For the write up I think that am going to wait for the one year anniversary for a full review, I recon battling high nitrates easier than low nitrates and most wont like that.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Him mate sorry been really busy at work, as an update

Nudibranch

At a close inspection they weren’t the ones I’ve ordered they were hypselodoris apotegma close relative of the bullocky nudibranch and almost identical except for the skirt. That said the nudibranch failed to eat the hydroids. One was munched by my wrasse on week 1, a few days later I’ve lost my wrasse to am taking poison due to eating the nudy. And the other lived well till a couple a days ago in my research it says they live up to 8 months in the wild so am taking he was just old and perish.

That said was only left with the febenzadole. Done 2 treatments to the tank in the last month killed a couple softy’s including my lovely gorgonians. Am now only left with sps and lps. It was effective at killing the zanclea hydroids but at a fairly large cost.

At the moment am considering dropping the hole phytoplankton experience just for the fact that I can get to bring up my no3 it has been a constant battle and I am now dosing 40ml of ati N to keep it at detectable levels. I’ve reduced all back to 1ml an hour in hope that this helps. I am also in hope that the febenzadole has killed some of my filter so that things get a bit more controllable.

On the plus side the medication killed all my bristled worms something that I’ve been trying to deal for a long time.

For the write up I think that am going to wait for the one year anniversary for a full review, I recon battling high nitrates easier than low nitrates and most wont like that.
Wish I’d read this earlier I would of said try algae eating hermits for your hydroids, they munched there way through a huge patch of colonial hydroids for me, not sure if it was a fluke and there are lots of types of hydroids as well, but I think worth a try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back