Continuous Salinity Monitoring: Apex Salinity Probe or Pinpoint salinity monitor?

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at adding a way to continuously monitor salinity in my tank. Currently have an apexEl.

Has Neptune finally worked through all the issues it was having with the Salinity probe to make it worth it? I would love to have it integrated with my apex but all the negative posts about it have kept deterring me from doing it. So I am looking at getting the pinpoint salinity monitor instead and run it continuously.

Mostly I am looking for something to be able to identify when there’s an issue and not necessarily something to be the source of truth. Is there a better third option?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about brand new apex salinity probes. Mine is terrible for accuracy. It's currently reading 46 but I know that means 35. I don't bother recalibrating. It will accurately tell me if it's going up or down from that 46 baseline. So in this respect it's my continuous monitor.

I just use a Hanna salinity checker to make sure everything looks good every few days or maybe once a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about brand new apex salinity probes. Mine is terrible for accuracy. It's currently reading 46 but I know that means 35. I don't bother recalibrating. It will accurately tell me if it's going up or down from that 46 baseline. So in this respect it's my continuous monitor.

I just use a Hanna salinity checker to make sure everything looks good every few days or maybe once a week.

I had bad experiences with the Hanna and trusted it too much that resulted in me losing a lot of corals.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bad experiences with the Hanna and trusted it too much that resulted in me losing a lot of corals.
Wow, I hadn't heard that..... I always check my mixed water with a refractometer thankfully. Guess I need to keep a close eye.

I'll be following other people's answers here now too.....

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a little search and see tons of people have had big issues with Hanna calibration. Thanks for clueing me in!

OP
OP
ccurnick

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a little search and see tons of people have had big issues with Hanna calibration. Thanks for clueing me in!

it was in the early days of it. Turns out it really is only decent for freshly mixed saltwater, and not for tank measurements. I still have it, but I don’t ever use it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back