Controling Cyphastrea (or other encrusting SPS)

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a buddy whos Meteor Shower Cyphastrea was dying. I offered to try and revive the coral and did so sucessfully! The problem is that coral grew off the plug and on to my rockwork. Now the Cyphastrea is at war with a few of my prize acropora. I was hoping the Acropora would in the battle, but at this point the Meteor Shower Cyphastrea is winning. Is there anyway to keep it at bay? Maybe Kalkwasser?

Any ideas?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you give me an example. I used 2 part for the outer part of the tank and would never put that uncured in the tank. Am i missing something? As of right now my Cypastrea is about the size of a mini basketball
Use something like aquastik, you can mix it together outside the tank and then add it in the tank where you want. It will cure undewater.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nevr understood why people like encrusting corals. It would be cool to cover the back glass with it. Who wants it to cover the whole rock where you could have a lot of beautiful corals on the same rock? Can you place them on glass and have them grow on back like people do with green star polyps. I am doin that with a purple star one and its going to look really cool because all you will see basically is the neon green polyps because the purple is so dark and it looks like twinkling lights covering the back of tank! I saw this at my lfs!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nevr understood why people like encrusting corals. It would be cool to cover the back glass with it. Who wants it to cover the whole rock where you could have a lot of beautiful corals on the same rock? Can you place them on glass and have them grow on back like people do with green star polyps. I am doin that with a purple star one and its going to look really cool because all you will see basically is the neon green polyps because the purple is so dark and it looks like twinkling lights covering the back of tank! I saw this at my lfs!
Shouldn't we try our experiments? I've a sunset monti growing around a purple stylo, like a lawn under a tree.
They seem to have come to an agreement.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a torch or hammer next to it, works great for me. Otherwise no encrusting corals get anywhere near my rock work. I have a spongoides on a tripod like rock at the bottom of the tank and it's growing into a strange soft stag horn formation. You can see the cyphastrea on the left isn't phased by the goni or alveopora. May need to get another hammer in there.

Attachments

• 20210915_221016.jpg
    20210915_221016.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 178

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a torch or hammer next to it, works great for me. Otherwise no encrusting corals get anywhere near my rock work. I have a spongoides on a tripod like rock at the bottom of the tank and it's growing into a strange soft stag horn formation. You can see the cyphastrea on the left isn't phased by the goni or alveopora. May need to get another hammer in there.
Is this a platygyra?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.36.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.36.31 AM.png
    422.2 KB · Views: 122

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as far as I'm aware.