Controlling hair algae in a macro fuge

toads74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m restarting a 75g mixed reef after a cross country move. Before the move I ran a hair algae farm in the sump for nutrient export in a refugium chamber (skimmerless) Using a par38 30watt grow bulb. It worked well for the purpose, but I’d like to go with an actual macro fuge for growing pods, snails, etc., aesthetics, as well as nutrient export.

What critters would you use to keep the nuisance algae out of the macros? Specific lighting recommendations?

Thanks!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hasn't really been an issue for me... I just have some trochus in there and used everything from a full spectrum led light that can grow corals to specific grow lights like kessil fuge to $20 amazon grow lights. I have a powerhead in that chamber which I think helps a lot too. The macro is very clean.. much like you would see in a macro display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I’m restarting a 75g mixed reef after a cross country move. Before the move I ran a hair algae farm in the sump for nutrient export in a refugium chamber (skimmerless) Using a par38 30watt grow bulb. It worked well for the purpose, but I’d like to go with an actual macro fuge for growing pods, snails, etc., aesthetics, as well as nutrient export.

What critters would you use to keep the nuisance algae out of the macros? Specific lighting recommendations?

Thanks!
snails:
Astrea
cerith
trochus
Ninja star

10 carribean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
T

toads74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you both! Gonna go try to source some in the next few days.

do you feed them specifically, or just let them fend for themselves with whatever grows within reach?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back