Controversial? I’m glad my first tank was a nano.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So often you hear “nano tanks are hard to keep stable - get a larger tank for your first one.” After starting with my nano, and keeping it going for a year, I’m going to go with “I disagree - starting with a nano teaches you to be a better reefer and is easier to fix”

1) YES it does swing rather quickly, sometimes surprisingly so. Like when my sps started doing good and they dropped the kh 2 points in just a few days. But this teaches you to stay on top of things and test often. If you do this:

2) you learn what specifically is going on. There’s no delays. You see cause and effect in near real time - there’s no buffer water volume to span multiple changes. Change your food? You can see the effect on phosphates. Corals start growing like crazy? You know right away how much to adjust your dosing. Over feeding? Yup that’ll show up in next weekends nitrate test. No guessing what happened over the past couple of months to make that parameter get out of whack.

3) It’s easy to fix. Are things not good? No biggie. Maybe it’s not stability, but you can do 100% water change if you wanted too with less water than most people use in their weekly 10% water changes. It would be better to not make these mistakes - but noobs do. Nanos can be “fixed” easy.

4) Maintenance is easy. One 5 gallon bucket, some bags of media, and a little square of floss. Boom, water changes are easy & quick - so you’re not likely to slack off.

5) it’s cheap(er). I mean big tanks are cool, and gear can be fun. But there’s something about the simplicity of a nano and that definitely helps those on a budget.

I dunno - I’m pretty glad I learned on a nano. It’s a bit more challenging to dial it in, but I feel like I’m learning faster & becoming a better reefer because of it. For someone starting with softies and lps, a nano is probably more forgiving and less expensive to learn on (especially since those tolerate swings better). Then when you get better at it, you can try your hand at sps.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my nano attempts looked like yours Id think they're better too lol.

I agree with every point you made. Starting with a tank that requires the most diligence that you'll ever need creates AWESOME habits that make it so when you do go bigger, it's a cake walk.

Your points 2/3 are awesome too: makes beginners quickly understand how a reef responds to everything they do, so if they go bigger, they can predict what is going to happen before it shows up a few days later.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my nano attempts looked like yours Id think they're better too lol.

pfft, my tank is garbage. BUT I’ve finally gotten dinos under control, I’m approaching stability, and my sps are starting to grow and encrust. Their color is even improving! But thanks for the vote of confidence anyway. ;)

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nano-words are wisdom. I must agree with the points you make. :p
I don’t know if they are wisdom - but they are truisms for me and my journey, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Pics of happy little acans because this thread lacks pictures…

C0BD1BEA-3420-4F20-BE00-F94B8017377C.jpeg

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So often you hear “nano tanks are hard to keep stable - get a larger tank for your first one.” After starting with my nano, and keeping it going for a year, I’m going to go with “I disagree - starting with a nano teaches you to be a better reefer and is easier to fix”

1) YES it does swing rather quickly, sometimes surprisingly so. Like when my sps started doing good and they dropped the kh 2 points in just a few days. But this teaches you to stay on top of things and test often. If you do this:

2) you learn what specifically is going on. There’s no delays. You see cause and effect in near real time - there’s no buffer water volume to span multiple changes. Change your food? You can see the effect on phosphates. Corals start growing like crazy? You know right away how much to adjust your dosing. Over feeding? Yup that’ll show up in next weekends nitrate test. No guessing what happened over the past couple of months to make that parameter get out of whack.

3) It’s easy to fix. Are things not good? No biggie. Maybe it’s not stability, but you can do 100% water change if you wanted too with less water than most people use in their weekly 10% water changes. It would be better to not make these mistakes - but noobs do. Nanos can be “fixed” easy.

4) Maintenance is easy. One 5 gallon bucket, some bags of media, and a little square of floss. Boom, water changes are easy & quick - so you’re not likely to slack off.

5) it’s cheap(er). I mean big tanks are cool, and gear can be fun. But there’s something about the simplicity of a nano and that definitely helps those on a budget.

I dunno - I’m pretty glad I learned on a nano. It’s a bit more challenging to dial it in, but I feel like I’m learning faster & becoming a better reefer because of it. For someone starting with softies and lps, a nano is probably more forgiving and less expensive to learn on (especially since those tolerate swings better). Then when you get better at it, you can try your hand at sps.
I’ll throw in another reason to start small based on my opinion and experience-upgrading!

I tried to balance going big enough where it could be my final tank, but small enough where I wouldn’t be super upset at the financial hole if I decided I didn’t like the hobby.

I’m still deep enough financially where it’s harder to justify an upgrade now, though-if I just started with a little 15-20g with a couple of fish and corals and liked it, that could be done for under $1000 and then move on to a big tank.

I’m also glad I didn’t start with the dream tank off the bat because I’ve learned so many things about reef tanks over the last year that I would definitely approach the next tank differently. For example, I’m stuck with uronema in this tank (didn’t understand QT or fish diseases early on) and an aqua scape that I don’t like. Those would both be very disappointing if I went all out with a dream build.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back