Convert 100.3 Metric Plumbing to Standard

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my 100.3, and I’m looking to convert the metric plumbing kit that came with it over to standard plumbing. However, I’ve never plumbed anything before, and I’m encountering difficulty when looking for the fittings to do so.

I saw that BRS sells metric-to-standard conversion couplings. I also saw that FlexPVC has 32mm-1” (both drains) and 25mm-3/4” (return) unions. However, I don’t know if the threaded fittings that connect the union to the pipes that sit in the overflow box will fit the unions that I linked to. Also, I had seen in another thread that someone used Vertex fittings, but they are now discontinued.

If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, photos, or a list of parts that would help me convert from metric to standard, then I will be incredibly grateful to you.

Attached is a photo of the plumbing kit that came with my 100.3 system.

C7AB10EE-00BB-4074-9288-DCC5C3E73E6D.jpeg

Thank you!

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m converting my 190.5 waterbox plumbing from 40mm to 1-1/4” then reducing to 1” to fit my clarisea. Going to use the 40mm to 1-1/4” union. It’s the easiest way. If you use the brs/coral vue adapter you will need some couplings as well

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m converting my 190.5 waterbox plumbing from 40mm to 1-1/4” then reducing to 1” to fit my clarisea. Going to use the 40mm to 1-1/4” union. It’s the easiest way. If you use the brs/coral vue adapter you will need some couplings as well
Where did you get, or where will you get, your unions from?

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be carefull on the BRS kits some of the sizes aren't a slip connection. They are the same size of the pipe. I had that issue with my Redsea. You will most likely need to purchase a metric slip fitting adaptor as well.

Metric pipe - metric slip fitting - BRS Conversion fitting (from Metric to Standard) - Standard pipe.
That is how I had to plumb my system.

See the website below. It is kind of sketchy but I have never had a issue with it.

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Fittings-Metric-Fittings

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be carefull on the BRS kits some of the sizes aren't a slip connection. They are the same size of the pipe. I had that issue with my Redsea. You will most likely need to purchase a metric slip fitting adaptor as well.

Metric pipe - metric slip fitting - BRS Conversion fitting (from Metric to Standard) - Standard pipe.
That is how I had to plumb my system.

See the website below. It is kind of sketchy but I have never had a issue with it.

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Fittings-Metric-Fittings
The 32mm unions and 32mm-1" conversion fitting that I ordered from CoralVue fit perfectly since they were slip fittings. The 25mm union and 25mm-3/4" conversion fitting were slip fittings, but the non-threaded bulkhead inside of the 25mm union was a bit too large for the conversion fitting; there was a little wiggle room. I emailed CoralVue, and Angie said that she will ship me a replacement union to see if that fixes the issue.

With the fittings that I ordered from CoralVue, the 32mm union has 32mm slip fittings on both sides. The 32mm-1" conversion fitting slipped into the union as expected; I just need to glue them together, and then I will be able to slip and glue 1" into the conversion fitting and have 1" from there downward. I'm anticipating the same to be true with the 25mm union and 25mm-3/4" conversion fitting when the new union arrives. It should be as easy as slipping the conversion fittings into the unions.

I will post a photo of my fittings when I get home from work today.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an email from Waterbox that my replacement 100.3 tank will be shipped out today, and they will be getting ahold of me with the tracking number in a follow-up email! :D

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 32mm unions and 32mm-1" conversion fitting that I ordered from CoralVue fit perfectly since they were slip fittings. The 25mm union and 25mm-3/4" conversion fitting were slip fittings, but the non-threaded bulkhead inside of the 25mm union was a bit too large for the conversion fitting; there was a little wiggle room. I emailed CoralVue, and Angie said that she will ship me a replacement union to see if that fixes the issue.

With the fittings that I ordered from CoralVue, the 32mm union has 32mm slip fittings on both sides. The 32mm-1" conversion fitting slipped into the union as expected; I just need to glue them together, and then I will be able to slip and glue 1" into the conversion fitting and have 1" from there downward. I'm anticipating the same to be true with the 25mm union and 25mm-3/4" conversion fitting when the new union arrives. It should be as easy as slipping the conversion fittings into the unions.

I will post a photo of my fittings when I get home from work today.

Yea I have 6 different sizes from BRS and some are slip and some aren't. Not sure why that is. Ones thing I found from the website I sent you that I really like is they have threaded and slip metric to standard unions. Save's a ton on extra fittings.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have 6 different sizes from BRS and some are slip and some aren't. Not sure why that is. Ones thing I found from the website I sent you that I really like is they have threaded and slip metric to standard unions. Save's a ton on extra fittings.
When I checked that site a couple of weeks ago, I found that the metric-standard unions are configured "upside down" for what I would need; the metric side is on the wrong side since the metric side needs to be on the side that the threaded adapter would fit into.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 12.10.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 12.10.41 PM.png

You can see in the following image that the metric side needs to be on top so that it can have the adapter thread into the bulkhead that's attached to the return pipe inside of the overflow box.

IMG_1695.jpg

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an email from CoralVue that they have metric-standard union couplings that would prevent the need for the metric-standard conversion fittings; the conversion could be done at the union.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest this is exactly why I went with Innovative Marine INT-100. The plumbing is standard and it just pokes into the stand and then I get the freedom to take it from there. After my Redsea it was just to much of a headache to deal with the metric to standard.

cldormer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell me that 32mm drain pipe with the gate valve, I’ll be glad to purchase it.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get rid of the stock gate valve?
I need to slide my sump over to make room for a few pieces of equipment, so I need to redo the drain pipes to extend them.

I’ll use the gate valve if I can, but I doubt that I can since the plumbing is all glued together.

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probbaly would have been easier/cheaper to convert below the gate valve in that case

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video that I made this evening that details the conversion of my 100.3’s metric plumbing to standard plumbing. The parts used are linked to in the description of the video.

Hope this helps!

Ok so I have a question I know I PM'd you. But how did you find out what size conversion that you would need. I'm looking at waterbox website and I'm getting dn 20 and dn 25. So I'm assuming that I can buy the 20mm to 1/2" conversion? But when I cross reference dn20 to imperial it comes back 3/4? Any help is much appreciated.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a question I know I PM'd you. But how did you find out what size conversion that you would need. I'm looking at waterbox website and I'm getting dn 20 and dn 25. So I'm assuming that I can buy the 20mm to 1/2" conversion? But when I cross reference dn20 to imperial it comes back 3/4? Any help is much appreciated.
I too am confused. Website says dn25 for drains. And dn20 for return. I dont see where you get 32mm and 25mm. I wanna make sure I order the right union.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am confused. Website says dn25 for drains. And dn20 for return. I dont see where you get 32mm and 25mm. I wanna make sure I order the right union.
Hey Michael, I never looked at the Waterbox website for dimensions; I checked the plumbing that came with my Waterbox, and it was stamped with the measurements. I don’t have any photos of them, but the slip fittings that rest on the inside-bottom of the overflow box are where I saw the stamped measurements.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back