Converting 40 aio to plumb into DT…opinions

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve decided to cut the custom aio filter out of my aqueon 40 breeder in order to drill it and hook it into my 120 system. My plan is to drill it for a 1” bulkhead and use a silicone in place overflow/surface skimmer box. Will I need a strainer on the bulkhead inside the surface skimmer? Then I will use one of the drain lines on my fijicube 30 2nd gen sump and add a Y pvc adapter to attach the drain on the 40 to one of the drains from the 120 to the top of the sump. Will this handle the water from both drains? Then as far as return I will be using the current Innovative Marine might jet mid size as its own return so I’m not robbing any pressure from the ecotech s2 that is feeding the dual returns on the 120 and a uv. Plan is to use 3/4 id tubing to a standard generic hang on return nozzle from amazon. It accepts 1/2 or 3/4 tubing and I can change the feed barb on the pump to either size so I’m not 100% sure which one will be best. Hopefully this makes sense like I picture it in my head. Plumbing sizes and flow rates get confusing!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a strainer on my Red Sea overflow, but it would've prevented at least one fish from ending up stuck in the gate valve - so it's not a bad idea.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back