Converting a freshwater tank to saltwater

PAdrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any negatives to using a tank for saltwater that was solely used for freshwater? I'm unaware of the history of any medicines etc. used in it. Seen a 225 gallon with corners overflows used as a freshwater tank for sale and it's cheap. What do you think?

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank wont know what was in it before if you give it a good clean using vinegar . Could have been a python before haha shouldn't matter

Good luck welcome to Salt world.......... bring your wallet

OP
OP
P

PAdrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is medications possibly absorbed in the silicone or whatever holding the glass together leaching out and killing invertebrates etc.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is medications possibly absorbed in the silicone or whatever holding the glass together leaching out and killing invertebrates etc.
Can you ask the seller if any meds were used and if so what type? I believe copper is the only one of primary concern for inverts and corals but I'm not sure if silicone alone would leach enough. In an existing saltwater tank the main concern is rocks and sand leaching if copper is used in the display tank. Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge about silicone.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you ask the seller if any meds were used and if so what type? I believe copper is the only one of primary concern for inverts and corals but I'm not sure if silicone alone would leach enough. In an existing saltwater tank the main concern is rocks and sand leaching if copper is used in the display tank. Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge about silicone.

The silicone can absorb medications, so copper could be a concern. If the seller had any inverts I would imagine the tank wasn't treated with copper, but it also isn't a guarantee.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone can absorb medications, so copper could be a concern. If the seller had any inverts I would imagine the tank wasn't treated with copper, but it also isn't a guarantee.
Silicone will leach whatever it has absorbed to a point of equilibrium. So even it was treated at one point it could have been so long ago that it's barely leaching now. Each water change will cause more to leach out of the silicone to again maintain equilibrium. So Everytime it would in theory get lower and lower.

Now even with all that, can the amount of silicone on a 220 if fully absorbed with copper leach out to a point of widespread coral/invert death? I don't know.

At one point years ago I used a 10 gallon as a hospital tank and treated with malachite green, it stained that silicone a nice shade of blue... Overtime the blue dissipated eventually to the point it was hardly noticable. But it was probably at least a good year before it started to tone down.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt copper was in use in freshwater. The diseases in freshwater are far less concerning . Than Velvet and Brook in salt world

That being said . OP you might want to grab a second smaller tank for Quarantine purposes . Not for everyone but highly recommended . Salt water diseases are brutal

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt copper was in use in freshwater. The diseases in freshwater are far less concerning . Than Velvet and Brook in salt world

That being said . OP you might want to grab a second smaller tank for Quarantine purposes . Not for everyone but highly recommended . Salt water diseases are brutal

For those that have both fresh and salt tanks I bet they use copper... I know I do, and I know I'm not alone.

Now your general fresh water tank buy a tank fill it with water and throw in the fish people, probably don't use copper. Those people also don't typically end up with 220 gallon aquariums. There are lots of passionate fresh water only hobbists that will use copper as well.

Now on another note - being that it is a 220 it also has a lower likelihood it was used as a treatment tank, not 0% but lower than say a 10/20 gallon. So medications may be a mute point anyways, but without more information from the seller who knows.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is in good condition, holds water, and is at a price you feel comfortable with, go for it!! There is not enough silicone in a 220 to make even the most sensitive coral blink!!

Further, in my 30+ years of freshwater aquarium keeping, I don't have a single recollection of ever using a copper based medicine in my tanks. I used to use straight untreated tap water in my FW setup and I know for a fact that water had copper in it. Had NO issue whatsoever converting that tank into my current reef.

Welcome to the Dark Side!!

Welcome.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn't think anyone with a 220 gallon would use that size tank as a treatment tank, but stranger things have happened.

Glad @Jedi1199 came in about the amount of silicone!

It's not a study I've ever seen any data on, I would think the volume of water would be more than enough of a buffer on a tank that large, but it's not an answer I have,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back