Converting Freshwater tank with side box sump

Natemeister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

im a newbie from salt water normally im a freshwater kid!! I fell in love instantly and decided to convert one of my 225 liters tank with box sump to salt water.

the question goes like this i have lots of bio media that i used before on my fresh water will i still be able to use it and benefit from good bacteria when converting this tank to salt water? Can i still use the same media? Or should i throw or wash them?

also can you help me choosing the right equipments needed to build this mini beast :)

ciao TIA 1AD32CAA-F64F-4BEF-A996-DB73BA2D1541.jpeg A7705105-D7A9-4A45-9D04-EB1926AED92B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9805.MOV
    95 MB

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture, but some of those rocks look like quartz/silicate-based rocks, I'd definitely get those out of there. Your freshwater bacteria will be of little to no use in doing a tank cycle, so if it was me in your shoes I'd just buy all brand new media and start over. drain everything, run citric acid or vinegar through all of the equipment, let it all dry and then start fresh. No reason to bring potential problems or existing unknown problems over from the old system to the new one.

Upvote 0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

In answer to your question.. From my reading back when I converted my FW tank to salt, the simple answer is yes and no. lol confused yet? So was I. Basically, The actual media can be reused, but the necessary nitrifying bacteria are not the same. What I did was wash all the media as thoroughly as possible and then used a couple good size pieces of rock I got from an existing tank to jumpstart the cycle. I was able to add a couple small fish in my tank within the first 48 hours with no ill effects.

Good luck with your new journey.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

im a newbie from salt water normally im a freshwater kid!! I fell in love instantly and decided to convert one of my 225 liters tank with box sump to salt water.

the question goes like this i have lots of bio media that i used before on my fresh water will i still be able to use it and benefit from good bacteria when converting this tank to salt water? Can i still use the same media? Or should i throw or wash them?

also can you help me choosing the right equipments needed to build this mini beast :)

ciao TIA 1AD32CAA-F64F-4BEF-A996-DB73BA2D1541.jpeg A7705105-D7A9-4A45-9D04-EB1926AED92B.jpeg
In respect to you, please note that we have reefers on here who have true EMERGENCIES such as losing fish or coral, cloudy tank, spikes, leaky tanks and so forth. Please refrain from listing switchover as an emergency leaving replies open to those who have a CRISIS.
We are however glad you have joined R2R and switched to saltwater.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have highlighted and encircled the rocks I believe may be silicate-based rocks. These definitely need to be removed no matter what you do if they are indeed silicate-based.
Untitled-2.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have highlighted and encircled the rocks I believe may be silicate-based rocks. These definitely need to be removed no matter what you do if they are indeed silicate-based.
Untitled-2.jpg
Yeah- those are standard river rock

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Natemeister

Natemeister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In respect to you, please note that we have reefers on here who have true EMERGENCIES such as losing fish or coral, cloudy tank, spikes, leaky tanks and so forth. Please refrain from listing switchover as an emergency leaving replies open to those who have a CRISIS.
We are however glad you have joined R2R and switched to saltwater.
Okay be better next time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Natemeister

Natemeister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

In answer to your question.. From my reading back when I converted my FW tank to salt, the simple answer is yes and no. lol confused yet? So was I. Basically, The actual media can be reused, but the necessary nitrifying bacteria are not the same. What I did was wash all the media as thoroughly as possible and then used a couple good size pieces of rock I got from an existing tank to jumpstart the cycle. I was able to add a couple small fish in my tank within the first 48 hours with no ill effects.

Good luck with your new journey.
Got it bro cheers! Thanks

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Natemeister

Natemeister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture, but some of those rocks look like quartz/silicate-based rocks, I'd definitely get those out of there. Your freshwater bacteria will be of little to no use in doing a tank cycle, so if it was me in your shoes I'd just buy all brand new media and start over. drain everything, run citric acid or vinegar through all of the equipment, let it all dry and then start fresh. No reason to bring potential problems or existing unknown problems over from the old system to the new one.
Thanks! How many minutes of soaking with vinegar?

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back