Convincing the wife was the frag tank is necessary

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... So I made the mistake of mentioning to my 11 year old son that I'm considering a frag tank. He of course mentioned it during dinner conversation in front of my wife. Haha. We started to have the conversation and then she said no we will have this conversation later tonight.

I wasn't ready to have this conversation! Quick! What are some good reasons that I NEED the frag tank.

FYI, I'm downsizing the 90 to 65 currently. Lots of coral fragging about to happen in the next few months.

Help!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay... So I made the mistake of mentioning to my 11 year old son that I'm considering a frag tank. He of course mentioned it during dinner conversation in front of my wife. Haha. We started to have the conversation and then she said no we will have this conversation later tonight.

I wasn't ready to have this conversation! Quick! What are some good reasons that I NEED the frag tank.

FYI, I'm downsizing the 90 to 65 currently. Lots of coral fragging about to happen in the next few months.

Help!

Just this year i've made over $600 dollars selling frags from my DT and i wasn't trying very hard selling. If you can explain what you could make in sales, this could help convince your wife in doing this. Seeing my wife holding all that cash made me smile. She's definitely on board with it!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Help!
Hard to beat reefing as a father son hobby, especially through a tank build to learn some mechanical skills. Then you have the ongoing responsibility of tank upkeep and building troubleshooting skills when things go wrong.
Can't put a price on those.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar boat, i was able to end up convincing my wife to let me have a 20G Long frag tank + Fish QT tank and placing it in the closet.

My reasoning:

Long term, saves you money. Not QT'ing Fish or Coral can wreck havoc on your main DT, and could cost you even MORE money by losing coral, or by introducing ich, parasites, unwanted algae, list goes on. Having a small QT/Frag tank hidden somewhere is better than messing up your DT.

If you think about long term, let's say your tank has a full beautiful SPS in it..... what would happen if you accidently introduced a small frag of SPS, and it had a parasite on it? Bugs, etc etc. That would spread and potentially kill off your other SPS, costing you more money. Better safe than sorry.

The Display tank is a Live piece of art work. You want to make sure thing's are at it's best before putting it in.

That was kinda my reasoning for her. Spend a little now, save a lot for the future, which is more money to spend on her and your son :)

Good luck buddy

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Make it about teaching your son skills he can use later in life. Heck maybe even involve him in making the stand or any other trade skills required. Also the money aspect is a good one. Now most people won’t completely sustain their hobby from frags but it does offset the cost.

Or if she shoots it down try and make a “frag system” in your sump and show that it can bring in money first or that it doesn’t work and you need a separate tank.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her you are the man of the house and you'll have to put the foot down!

And please film this event as I have the popcorn ready :cool:

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all fantastic. These were both helpful and hilarious. Letting her read some of these helped put things in a more playful tone while also indirectly pointing out that it is a source of money to put back into the hobby. I'm under no illusions - I'm not expecting to make a profit. I'd be happy just to trade and she realizes that.
What things really boiled down to is money and once I pointed out I was just using funds from selling the 90 gallon system she was like... "oh. Yeah that's fine."

Wahoo!

Again everyone, thanks for both the help and the laughs!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all fantastic. These were both helpful and hilarious. Letting her read some of these helped put things in a more playful tone while also indirectly pointing out that it is a source of money to put back into the hobby. I'm under no illusions - I'm not expecting to make a profit. I'd be happy just to trade and she realizes that.
What things really boiled down to is money and once I pointed out I was just using funds from selling the 90 gallon system she was like... "oh. Yeah that's fine."

Wahoo!

Just make sure next time she asks for something you say yes! :D

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wahoo!

Great to hear! My wife started a conversation about getting a bigger house and expanding a frag system after this years sales! Oh what have i done! Lol

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is just step one......
When you upgrade to that 500 gal.
These fund from fragging will pay for it....
Well, that's what you tell her.
I would advise you NOT to let her read this post.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back