Cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon nano

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious on some really cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon evo tank. Stocking is limited of course due to size so something really out there would be a great way to utilize the small space I feel. What would be some good options ?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious on some really cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon evo tank. Stocking is limited of course due to size so something really out there would be a great way to utilize the small space I feel. What would be some good options ?
If you can get some pods, massively cool fish for a 5gal:

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get some pods, massively cool fish for a 5gal:
I do agree and have looked at them however, I would never want to have a time when pods aren't available. A 5 gal is not sustainable to keep an ongoing pod population. I've considered that fish and would love a mandarin but the pod situation is just not secure where I am atm.

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but not all that exciting truthfully. I appreciate the contribution to the thread though!

AVEN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

these three would be fine:

Neon Goby
Royal Gramma
Firefish

Of course A 5-gallon tank is a very small space, and it can be challenging . In my opinion you cankeep only one or two small fish in a 5-gallon tank.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

these three would be fine:

Neon Goby
Royal Gramma
Firefish

Of course A 5-gallon tank is a very small space, and it can be challenging . In my opinion you cankeep only one or two small fish in a 5-gallon tank.
Not looking for what would be fine. Please read the thread heading. Not one of these you've listed is unique or cool. They are very basic and commonly kept nano fish.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on the points of view what is beautiful and unique. ☺️

Three more suggestions below :

Helfrichi Firefish:
Orchid Dottyback
Helfrichi Firefish
At adult size 3" for a dotty back is not ideal for a 5 gallon mate. Firefish are generic. I am trying to create a discussion for unique and not often found in nano tanks. You're recommendations are still generic and very common. I appreciate you trying to contribute to the thread but let's try and keep it related to the thread topic, thanks

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree and have looked at them however, I would never want to have a time when pods aren't available. A 5 gal is not sustainable to keep an ongoing pod population. I've considered that fish and would love a mandarin but the pod situation is just not secure where I am atm.
I don't think they are obligate pod-eaters like mandarins. I think in the same vein that a possum wrasse will pick all day at pods but still happily eat TDO pellets. There is also reef nutrition Pods--I dump Pac pods and Arcti pods in the tank every day. Mandarins will eat 1500-3000 pods per day. Not sure how much these guys eat.

Edit: Reef Nutrition dead pods, not live pods. They keep in the fridge for 5-9 months.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are obligate pod-eaters like mandarins. I think in the same vein that a possum wrasse will pick all day at pods but still happily eat TDO pellets. There is also reef nutrition Pods--I dump Pac pods and Arcti pods in the tank every day. Mandarins will eat 1500-3000 pods per day. Not sure how much these guys eat.
I was actually just reading on pod seeding a tank. My LFS just brought in some pods so may pick some up here shortly just to add to the biome in the tank. I've never introduced pods into my tanks before when I did reef as thought they were just food for certain fish but now see the benefit as a whole for having them.

That is a large number of pods to be eating a day. Lol. Sustaining that population in a nano tank would be quite a task.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually just reading on pod seeding a tank. My LFS just brought in some pods so may pick some up here shortly just to add to the biome in the tank. I've never introduced pods into my tanks before when I did reef as thought they were just food for certain fish but now see the benefit as a whole for having them.

That is a large number of pods to be eating a day. Lol. Sustaining that population in a nano tank would be quite a task.
For a mandarin, you'd have to have a pod culture and dump them in regularly. Not convenient and quite the hassle for a 5gal tank.

For the Discordipinna griessingeri, flaming prawn goby, it will definitely slurp up pods (you can see that on youtube), but I see in multiple places that they will eat baby brine (also not ideal) or cyclopeeze (freeze dried cyclops, not bad at all). I am a Reef Nutrition fan and use their ROE for everything. I don't think there's a fish that wouldn't eat ROE, so you could probably keep it fed on liquid foods or freeze dried foods pretty easily.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mandarin, you'd have to have a pod culture and dump them in regularly. Not convenient and quite the hassle for a 5gal tank.

For the Discordipinna griessingeri, flaming prawn goby, it will definitely slurp up pods (you can see that one youtube), but I see in multiple places that they will eat baby brine (also not ideal) or cyclopeeze (freeze dried cyclops, not bad at all). I am a Reef Nutrition fan and use their ROE for everything. I don't think there's a fish that wouldn't eat ROE, so you could probably keep it fed on liquid foods or freeze dried foods pretty easily.
Note, I'd also add pods in occasionally in any case. I think the put in work.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the hunt! You want to blow us all away, fill up your tank halfway with sand and put a bunch of garden eels in the tank with an autofeeder dumping in particulate food 5x a day! Dial that return way down, too.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the hunt! You want to blow us all away, fill up your tank halfway with sand and put a bunch of garden eels in the tank with an autofeeder dumping in particulate food 5x a day! Dial that return way down, too.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. That would be cool! However minimum tank size for a garden eel is 40gal. I think I'm just slightly too small at 5gal haha.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy…
Trimma caudomaculatum
Trimma tevegae
Trimma rubromaculatum
Trimma cana
Trimma paneforum
Trimma striatum
Trimma okinawae
Trimma taylori
Gobiodon howsoni
Gobiodon albofasciatus
Gobiodon acicularis
Paragobiodon lancunicolus
Escenius bimaculatus
Escenius melarchus
Escenius pulcher
Escenius trigris
Escenius australianus
Stonogobiops yasha
Stonogobiops nematodes
Stonogobiops dracula
Stonogobiops xanthorhinica
Tryssogobius colini
Tryssogobius sarah
Tryssogobius flavolineatus

And the list goes on… just do a bit of research and you’ll find something you like. I know I want 5-6 of those guys from this list (at a minimum).

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasse? Yellow-banded are everywhere, but the other two Wetmorella seem significantly less common. Tanaka's seem to have the color, but the eye stripes and contrast on the White-banded are absolutely stunning.

Might be pushing it on size, but I feel like most fish are regardless.

I'm also going to second neon goby from above. It -is- a very cool fish, and they get mentioned a lot, but I don't see very many in person.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into emblemaria pandoinis (aka Atlantic black sailfin blenny) ?

Attachments

• F655D6D4-4F0A-4D9E-9F73-0383BFA708A0.jpeg
    F655D6D4-4F0A-4D9E-9F73-0383BFA708A0.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 39

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back