Cooling a BioCube 32 with a hood. How I did it.

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Biocube 32, but wanted to keep the hood. I put Steves LEDs in it and the temps ran routinely in the 82 degree range which is higher than where I'd like it. I had installed fans over the holes in the back of the hood, but couldn't tell that it helped much. I finally popped out the lid in the feeding port and installed a larger fan there. The temp dropped 2 degrees within two hours.

I purchased a 120mm USB Fan, and a 8 3/4 by 5 3/4 cooling rack.

I painted the stainless steel rack. I attached the fan to the rack with zip ties. I ran the power cable for the fan under the hood lid to the back and plugged it into a temperature controller. I then attached the rack and fan to the hood using velcro. I am running an ATO since this works by water evaporation.

The temp dropped quickly. Not sure how durable this setup will be in the long haul, but will see.

IMG_5249.jpg IMG_5250.jpg

GBish0p

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old thread I know but…do you have the fan pulling air from under the hood or providing air to under the hood?

Cosmicblue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photo and the orientation of the blades, it looks like the fan is blowing air into the feeding hole.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 11.1%
Back