BroccoliFarmer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My tank has been running a little warm lately (happens why your air conditioning is out for a month!!). although my AC is getting fixed, this incident did have me thinking about should I be getting a cooling fan or a chiller. I am not quite sure I want to invest 5 bills (min) into a chiller, let alone if my circuit could handle the additional load. As such, was gonna look at going the low tech, cost efficient route of a chiller fan. I have not seen any chiller fans with reasonable satisfaction from the users. They are all either too loud, break to fast, dont move enough air, dont provide good angles etc. I have yet to see someone other than a 'i just bought this yesterday' review say anything positive about these fans. Any thoughts? should I just go buy a small vornado clip on and rig it myself? Doesnt quite go with the aestetics but whatchyagonnado?

Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Check the DIY forum for possible solutions. Have seen threads using computer fans of various sizes to chilled/frozen water bottles in the sump.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
When it's 87F here in NJ, I'm not sure how much help a fan would be....just blowing hot air. And yes, I'm aware of the evaporative cooling effect! I'd suggest a room (window) air conditioner. They are inexpensive and effective. That's what I do.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I use cooling fan on my sump to cool the tank but I also have ventilation fans built into my stand so air flows into the sump from the room also. I use Cooler Guys IP67 rated fans. without some type of protection the fans would only last around three months. I also have central air conditioning that is set to 76 degrees. I could not survive the 100+ degree weather where I am without air conditioning. The first photo is the fans I now use. The second photo is of the sump out of the stand with the original fans in place. Those fans I was able to pop the blade assembly off and add RTV around the electronics and coils to protect them. It is easier just to get one with the protection already in place.

C94E740C-242F-41F7-B5FC-5EAA18E34B83.jpeg

3987B11A-9ED9-4321-8A6F-3F565C3BA09E.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My tank has been running a little warm lately (happens why your air conditioning is out for a month!!). although my AC is getting fixed, this incident did have me thinking about should I be getting a cooling fan or a chiller. I am not quite sure I want to invest 5 bills (min) into a chiller, let alone if my circuit could handle the additional load. As such, was gonna look at going the low tech, cost efficient route of a chiller fan. I have not seen any chiller fans with reasonable satisfaction from the users. They are all either too loud, break to fast, dont move enough air, dont provide good angles etc. I have yet to see someone other than a 'i just bought this yesterday' review say anything positive about these fans. Any thoughts? should I just go buy a small vornado clip on and rig it myself? Doesnt quite go with the aestetics but whatchyagonnado?

Thoughts?
In these emergency situations like broken air conditioning I have used a box fan from any store and laid it on top of my sump blowing down into the water. Obviously does not look good and you need to make sure it’s secure so does not fall but it does the job very well moves a lot of air and for temporary till your AC is fixed will only cost about $10 at Home Depot

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
BroccoliFarmer

BroccoliFarmer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
In these emergency situations like broken air conditioning I have used a box fan from any store and laid it on top of my sump blowing down into the water. Obviously does not look good and you need to make sure it’s secure so does not fall but it does the job very well moves a lot of air and for temporary till your AC is fixed will only cost about $10 at Home Depot
Luckily, i had to buy two box fans because my AC went out!! Thanks for the advice.

MtnDewMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
OP
BroccoliFarmer

BroccoliFarmer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Tidal Gardens
AI Hydra

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 98 43.9%
  • NO

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 72 32.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.3%
RED SEA