Copepod Feeding Rate

NathanF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how much algae to feed my copepod culture for optimum growth without overfeeding. If I have a density of 3-5/ml in copepods in a 200L volume of water, how much algae in L is correct? I have found papers that say 13ml, 1.25L, 10L, etc. Those are very large differences. Does anyone have personal experience in larger vessels?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how much algae to feed my copepod culture for optimum growth without overfeeding. If I have a density of 3-5/ml in copepods in a 200L volume of water, how much algae in L is correct? I have found papers that say 13ml, 1.25L, 10L, etc. Those are very large differences. Does anyone have personal experience in larger vessels?
Ive heard 5ml to 10 gallons twice to three times a week is a good standard

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you working with?

I've been growing copepods at a commercial scale for 15 years, so I may be able to shed some light on this.

Chad

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture my pods in a 1 gallon tupperware, I add enough phyto to turn the water a faint green, and then I just leave it.

They will reproduce according to the available food in the environment, so you want to have an abundance of food to have an abundance of pods, dont worry about counting ml's.

Back