Copepod feeding

lolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When and how do you add phytoplankton to feed your copepods? Should I do it at night or any time ok ? Should I turn off my filter or leave it be? I have a 40 gallon breeder , just added my first fish. Have had copepods in there for about a month. I don’t see very many though. I added about 3500.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the stuff from algae barn. Works well and instructions on the bottle.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While algaebarn phyto is OK, there are plenty of other alternatives that are cheaper, and offer a better product.

@Eldredge
@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

I personally prefer to support local hobbyists, rather then a "big box" store.

OP
OP
lolly

lolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you … Yes. I just thought I would see a few more adults when I turn the light off at night and look with a flashlight.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While algaebarn phyto is OK, there are plenty of other alternatives that are cheaper, and offer a better product.

@Eldredge
@Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

I personally prefer to support local hobbyists, rather then a "big box" store.
Agree. Culturing your own isn't as hard as you would think also.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you … Yes. I just thought I would see a few more adults when I turn the light off at night and look with a flashlight.
You have a very young tank with very little algae for them to eat. More food equals more pods.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd like to start by saying i think phyto has its place and is a good thing but I also think it pays to mention, there is no imperative need to purchase pods or feed phyto to pods. You likely will yield more of them if you do but by introducing corals, even after dipping, you will end up finding them.
I only mention this because i ended up spending money on things i could have put into corals or otherwise and pods was a one of them.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to dose overly much with phyto for your tank. The pods will survive off of algae occuring in the tank as well as small amounts of detritus. A couple splashes of phyto once or twice a week in the evening is more than enough.

Pods are one of my must haves for any tank i do. I was able to completely bypass the "ugly phase" on my latest tank just by dosing with pods and slowly ramping up my lighting. But their prices online are insane, I culture my own and as others have said its very easy to do.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd like to start by saying i think phyto has its place and is a good thing but I also think it pays to mention, there is no imperative need to purchase pods or feed phyto to pods. You likely will yield more of them if you do but by introducing corals, even after dipping, you will end up finding them.
I only mention this because i ended up spending money on things i could have put into corals or otherwise and pods was a one of them.
Agree, I'd never recommend buying pods unless a mandarin or such was in too small of a tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When and how do you add phytoplankton to feed your copepods? Should I do it at night or any time ok ? Should I turn off my filter or leave it be? I have a 40 gallon breeder , just added my first fish. Have had copepods in there for about a month. I don’t see very many though. I added about 3500.
Feeding is best at night with skimmer off although can be fed during the day. Start with half the bottle dosage until the feeding needs are figured out based on consumption. Then you can add twice per day if needed. One m/l per gallon is a good rule of thumb

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Very much agree and wish someone told me this at the time

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said I was adding them as I was battling uglies and maybe they did have an impact but who can be sure. Ohh the money I spent on pods tho

OP
OP
lolly

lolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I'd never recommend buying pods unless a mandarin or such was in too small of a tank.
I am planning on a mandarin once my tank matures. That’s why I am trying to get a healthy population of pods going

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i don't do anything as far as feeding and my mantis shrimp tank is taken over copepods and amphipods. I feed the coral once in a great while but that's it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on a mandarin once my tank matures. That’s why I am trying to get a healthy population of pods going
Have a sump? Otherwise may need regular delivery of copepods with a 40g

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a sump? Otherwise may need regular delivery of copepods with a 40g

repurpose a tote or beverage container, add powdered spirulina, tiny bit of banana skin and start it off with a bottle of tough @Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods. Its easy, I'm lazy, and cheap.

Here is my culture post:

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started seeding my tank a bit over three months ago- dosed with pods, waited, didnt see anything, dosed again, still impatient when I didnt see them on my glass, dosed a third time. At the same time through this I was dosing ocean magik daily. Let me tell you my copepod population is off the ***king charts now! Of the ones I can see on my glass at night probably 80+ per square inch of glass in the DT and a ton more in the sump. My mandarin is getting fat quick and I've only had her for a month.

I typically put half of my phyto dose into the refugium and the other half right into the DT, usually in the evening.

I am not dosing currently as I have hydroids and I am trying to starve them out, but my tank now has enough green algae all over the rocks that I think they will all be ok without the supplemental phyto- atleast until I get rid of the hydroids then Ill start dosing again as my coral seems to like it too.

NASAGeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you happen to be in Texas, I recommend PodYourReef. Josh takes great care of our pod needs.

Back