Copepod or Isopod?

Discussion in 'Hitchhiker & Critter ID' started by h2oh2o, May 15, 2019.

1. h2oh2o

h2oh2o Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a stirring pipe in my fuge. I went to stir my Chaeto and found these buggers climbing around the pipe. Do these look like Copepods or Isopods? If so, from what family?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BestMomEver

BestMomEver Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Amphipods maybe.

3. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Reefing Mom! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I see flatworms. Can you get a clearer picture

reef lover and DSC reef like this.
  4. h2oh2o

h2oh2o Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Ugh... I thought the same when I first seen them. I hope not. I was looking at critter ID and I did see some Copepods and Isopods that were flat with tails like that so I was hoping it wasnt flat worms. See movie below. It was hard to focus but there are a couple shots of them.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  5. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Reefing Mom! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

To me they look like acoel flatworms. @KJ @DSC reef can I get some extra eyes on this please:)

h2oh2o, KJ and DSC reef like this.
  6. Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve Well-Known Member MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

They do look like acoel flatworms. Being as they are on the pipe and it is nice and clean. Hopefully it is the algae eating variants. I have them in my sump, but not to many as there is a corris wrasse down there at the moment. So far they have not hurt anything and are not seen in the display, as it is full of wrasses and things that eat them.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Agreed

Lovemyreef2015 and KJ like this.
  8. shred5

shred5 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Agreed they do look like flatworms. Flatworms are not all bad and some are good so do not panic and most usually end up disappearing after a while.
    Bad flatworms usually come in on a host. Some come in and they are specialty feeders like most nudibranchs and die off.
    I had a bunch in one of my tanks in the basement I use to quarantine stuff and there were pretty many on the glass and now I can not find any.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  9. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader ETRC Member Hospitality Award

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted