Copepods and Phytoplankton

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there won't be a ReefStock Denver 2021 (?) I decided to order some copepods and phytoplankton from AlgaeBarn.

I was going to pick it all up at the show as I told AlgaeBarn one year my dream was a copepod only tank. :rolleyes:

But nothing much to report on the addition to my little 10 gallon tank.

I want to say the corals have noticed. One coral seems to have extended a whole lot more.

Maybe it consumes phytoplankton. Or fee-fi-fo-fum it can smell the blood of a copepod.

When I spot feed the Green Star Reef Roids it always reacts strongly. Always a question feeding or just irritated.

Spot feeding it phytoplankton does not react at all. Too small to irritate it?

Anyhow, seems like putting copepods in with corals is liking putting mice in with a terrarium full of snakes. :oops:

Almost a copepod only tank. :cool: Not counting the spirobid worms.

-Big Mistake

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you! That’s exactly what I’m working towards. I love phyto and even more pods. They’re just so expensive!!! I bit the bullet and spent the money up front to start my culture of tisbe and tigger pods. Of course I want a dragonet too. What’s the point in spending all the time and money on pods to not have that kind of color in your tank :p

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to use the April Fool's code for Algae Barn for 3 days with no luck. I am just about done with them honestly. Monday will be my final try.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been trying to use the April Fool's code for Algae Barn for 3 days with no luck. I am just about done with them honestly. Monday will be my final try.
I apologize you had difficulties applying the discount code. We message you information we need to place a manual order for you :)

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 1st mistake was ordering from Algaebarn lol. I can beat price and density guarantee
Ouch! That feels harsh. I appreciate what algae barn is attempting to do for the hobby. I also find the threads/comments about being ripped off by high priced vendors unhelpful.I always try to remember these guys are not charging for stuff they are growing in their basement. They have commercial rent, payroll, payroll support/HR to pay for, tech support, licenses, and everything else. Not to mention attempting to keep pricing that can support at least one more level of distribution. It is a big ask of someone who is selling stuff out of tanks that can crash or become contaminated-which can completely destroy a “crop.”

I do appreciate all of the vendors who risk so much to sell a bottle of pods. Especially companies who really try to support the hobby with major ideas/breakthroughs like clean chaeto. I’m willing to pay a bit more (well a lot more) too for people who are willing to rid my tank of pests keeping me personally FAR more successful in the hobby.

Last edited:

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth I dose live phyto from reef nutrition. Worth every penny of the price. The algae blend is perfect for supporting all kinds of pods!! Great variety of sizes and algae types. Keeps the pod population high in a nano with two fat fish munching pods all day!

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! That feels harsh. I appreciate what algae barn is attempting to do for the hobby. I also find the threads/comments about being ripped off by high priced vendors unhelpful.I always try to remember these guys are not charging for stuff they are growing in their basement. They have commercial rent, payroll, payroll support/HR to pay for, tech support, licenses, and everything else. Not to mention attempting to keep pricing that can support at least one more level of distribution. It is a big ask of someone who is selling stuff out of tanks that can crash or become contaminated-which can completely destroy a “crop.”

I do appreciate all of the vendors who risk so much to sell a bottle of pods. Especially companies who really try to support the hobby with major ideas/breakthroughs like clean chaeto. I’m willing to pay a bit more (well a lot more) too for people who are willing to rid my tank of pests keeping me personally FAR more successful in the hobby.
And that's how me and you differ . Plenty of smaller hobbyist have some of the best stuff on the market. You shouldn't have to even pay for Cheato most people give perfectly healthy clean cheato away for free . I support locals and small vendors.....you support corporations. What ever floats your boat I guess

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's how me and you differ . Plenty of smaller hobbyist have some of the best stuff on the market. You shouldn't have to even pay for Cheato most people give perfectly healthy clean cheato away for free . I support locals and small vendors.....you support corporations. What ever floats your boat I guess
Hi there!
Thank you!! For a number of things. First thank you for being a source of clean chaeto and other things in the community. I remember back when that’s ALL this hobby was! There were meetups at LFS parking lots to swap corals, pods, algae, and in almost every case we would bring a cup of sand and contribute to a sand pile. It was mixed up and everyone left with a cup of mixed sand. It was fun and I miss having a ton of collaborative folks like yourself in the hobby!! I am also grateful for the different opinions and stances in the hobby. I believe that diversity in our tanks and of people in the hobby makes it stronger.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth I dose live phyto from reef nutrition. Worth every penny of the price. The algae blend is perfect for supporting all kinds of pods!! Great variety of sizes and algae types. Keeps the pod population high in a nano with two fat fish munching pods all day!
Good stuff! It's the most concentrated and affordable phytoplankton available and we are happy to have you as a customer. Thanks so much for your support.

Best,
Chad

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is difference between this and ocean magik by algae barn?
1 - 16 oz. Ocean Magik has 4 species of microalgae (phyto): Nannochloropsis sp., Tisochrysis sp., Tetraselmis sp. and Thalassiosira sp. $15

1 - 6 oz. Phyto-Feast Live contains Pavlova sp., Tisochrysis sp., Thalassiosira weissflogii, Tetraselmis sp., Nannochloropsis sp., and Synechococcus sp. $14.70

Not only do we have more phytoplankton variety, but our bottle is 20 times as concentrated as theirs. No one comes close to the microalgae biomass that we pack in our bottles. The savings are immense with our product.

Thanks for asking,
Chad

Back