Copepods in a small tank with no refugium?

revheat21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m intrigued about adding copepods to my Evo 13.5 for some additional biodiversity. I don’t have a refugium set up. My question is whether or not its even feasible to add them.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! Adam from BRS posted about this, and I was intrigued because I thought you needed a fuge too:

“In terms of timeline, you want to wait for the cycle to finish. When the uglies start to show up is a great time to add them along with a regular live phytoplankton dose. The pods and plankton help compete with diatoms and dinos. Add the pods before you have a heavy population of fish preying on them, especially fish that target them. This gives the pods a chance to establish a reproducing population.

When adding them, turn of your lights and pumps for 30 minutes, generally during evening hours is best. Skimmer and UV is ok but you can turn them off too. Filter socks and pads should definitely be removed for 24 hours to prevent the pods from being trapped. They are small and some even at a larval stage when you add them so they get dispersed around the tank and will settle and grow in the sand and substrates.”

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add them as they will live in the rocks and sand and such. I agree with turning off the pumps and return pump and such to allow them to drop to the rocks and sand.

OP
OP
revheat21

revheat21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! Adam from BRS posted about this, and I was intrigued because I thought you needed a fuge too:

“In terms of timeline, you want to wait for the cycle to finish. When the uglies start to show up is a great time to add them along with a regular live phytoplankton dose. The pods and plankton help compete with diatoms and dinos. Add the pods before you have a heavy population of fish preying on them, especially fish that target them. This gives the pods a chance to establish a reproducing population.

When adding them, turn of your lights and pumps for 30 minutes, generally during evening hours is best. Skimmer and UV is ok but you can turn them off too. Filter socks and pads should definitely be removed for 24 hours to prevent the pods from being trapped. They are small and some even at a larval stage when you add them so they get dispersed around the tank and will settle and grow in the sand and substrates.”
Thanks for the info!! I was wondering what to do about my filter pad. Makes sense to remove it in order to give them time to spread out in the tank.
Im gonna go for it!

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!! I was wondering what to do about my filter pad. Makes sense to remove it in order to give them time to spread out in the tank.
Im gonna go for it!
Yeah, I don’t have any science or direct evidence, but I do believe it has helped my tank overall. I figured out I had very high PO4 levels and I feel like pods+phyto have held the line against bad outbreaks. They definitely can’t hurt, and feels like a minor investment to me.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my first bottle of reef nutrition pods into my 20g cube last week. No Refugium. They are all over the glass at certain times of the day. I'm adding a small amount of phyto feast every couple of days as well.
BTW, my clowns love the pods. They'll rub against the glass to dislodge them and then gobble them up. Clever little buggers LOL

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my first bottle of reef nutrition pods into my 20g cube last week. No Refugium. They are all over the glass at certain times of the day. I'm adding a small amount of phyto feast every couple of days as well.
BTW, my clowns love the pods. They'll rub against the glass to dislodge them and then gobble them up. Clever little buggers LOL
Interesting story about your clowns! Where did you buy our pods and phyto?

Chad

OP
OP
revheat21

revheat21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my clowns will do the same!! They are pretty smart.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back