Copepods, rotifiers, zooplankton, phytoplancton…. Confused on what to buy !

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval Evo 13.5 is about 4 months old now. It has about 10 easy corals (duncans, xenias, kenya tree, green rodactis, gsp), 2 oscellaris and 1 tailspot blenny.

I’ve been reading about copepods and rotifers and I feel it’s the next addition I need to do to my tank. But I’m confused about what I should buy on this page. https://copepod.ca/collections/packs

Would 8 oz of copepods and rotifers + phytoplankton blend medium concentration 8 oz be okay ? If not what else should I buy ?

My second question is this. This supplier recommends putting 50% of the pods and rotifers in the sump. If I do that, are the pods and rotifers going to somehow transfer into the main compartment or do I need to manually extract them from the sump somehow and put them in with the fish ?

And do I need to put the phytoplankton blend into the sump compartment or will there be enough coming in with the flow ?

Last, what is the difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton ? And is it best to have both copepods and rotifers in a tank ?

Thanks for your help !

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phytoplankton is single cell algae, or microscopic algae. Zookplankton is microscoptic animals, such as copepods, amphipods, brine shrimp, etc.... one is plant and the other is small animal, but it is all sea plankton.

Copepods are good in a reef tank, they add to the biodiversity in your tank ,makes it more like the ocean. Copepods mostly live in the rocks, but rotifers are free swimming and get sucked into machines. The pods will multiply on their own once you add them, some people culture them and add them regularly to their tanks.... plankton its a whole other part of reef keeping to learn about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For this size tank and based on current occupants.... Copepods will suffice. Amhipods are a little larger. Rotifiers are a good first food for fish such as baby clowns.

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add rotifers to a new tank to seed it for the future, will they establish themselves and multiply if fed phytoplankton too, or are both something that just needs to be added/replenished regularly?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back