Copepods: to fuge or not to fuge

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon sump with LOTS of bio media for around 6 months now. It’s getting to the point where I would like to actively work on establishing a copepod population.
I have no refugium but am considering getting those hob ones mainly for the pods. I really don’t want to bother with it but if it’s necesarry I will.
First question is if it is even necessary knowing my sump has tons of bio media and my tank has plenty of dry rock and 2 inch sand bed. Maybe I can add a loofa if I really have to.
Second is who makes the best hob refugiums out there?
Thirdly how long should I turn off my skimmer and what about my mesh filter socks?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fijicube hob refugium are nice.

Do you need one for pods? No. Does it help? Sure, more space and a place where they can graze on algae and what not without fish.

I think the best way to keep a big population is to dose phyto daily

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pods dont need a specific place like a hob or refugium, just put them in your tank, they will live in the holes in the live rock. If your really concerned for them to have a safe spot, you can put a pile of rock ruble in the corner, or they even sell pod "hotels" now for like $30, but I dont think its neccessary. When I add then to my tank, I normally turn off my skimmer and machines for 5-10 minutes. Just feed phytoplankton or phytofeast to your tank so they have food, then they will multiply

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture a decent amount of copepods and some amthipods. I acutaly recommend turning fuge areas into rock rubble to my customers. It's the most natural for them and a great place for them to thrive . So no you don't need a fuge at all

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture a decent amount of copepods and some amthipods. I acutaly recommend turning fuge areas into rock rubble to my customers. It's the most natural for them and a great place for them to thrive . So no you don't need a fuge at all
I would second this.

When I turned my fuge into just rock rubble I had way more pods then just macro. Dosing phyto daily will help them feed and multiply.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unless you really have nitrate and phosphate issues I wouldn’t even bother.

I think I’m at the last stage of battling dinos because one day I wanted to set up a fuge and it pulled all nutrients

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubble in sump or display? Any difference?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thread similar to this the other day, the advice was to look at night with a torch (flashlight) the OP was amazed what he saw.

So no, no need to add a refugium.

Back