Copepods?

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

I just have been doing quite a bit of reading on copepods over the weekend. I found that there were 1000s of them on my glass on Friday morning.

Question, I understand when they are young they hang out on the glass and in the water column. When will they begin to find their way to the gravel and rocks and stop blocking my view? :)

Cheers!!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as you add any fish that will pick on them lol

I ran my tank fishless last 2 months and my glass looked like what you’re describing, first angel in and they’re all gone from glass...

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every fish will pick on pods, all angels for sure.

What kind of fish do you have?

You can also scrape them off the glass with your algae scraper.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I have two clowns, a watchman, a lawnmower and that's it for fish. There is a cleaner shrimp and a Pistol.

I was thinking maybe a flame angel next?

Rest of wants

Firefish x2
Wrasse Six line
Chromis x3
Anthias x2
Foxface
Yellow Tang
Kole Tang
Mandarin

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
They are on the glass all day and night. I don't know if its more at night or day..

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would that be an okay "next" addition for 2x of them? And do the firefish where the anthias are in my list?
2 of them should be fine. The mandarin will definitely eat them up also. Sorry, not clear about your 2nd question...
Just an FYI - yellow tang & kole tang may not get along (u can try adding tangs simultaneously which sometimes helps) and also yellow tang may pick on foxface. I've had all 3 fish and personally would go w kole tang and foxface and not yellow tang.
Oh, not sure if u are already aware but tang should be last fish added or else they'll bully any new additions.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
2 of them should be fine. The mandarin will definitely eat them up also. Sorry, not clear about your 2nd question...
Just an FYI - yellow tang & kole tang may not get along (u can try adding tangs simultaneously which sometimes helps) and also yellow tang may pick on foxface. I've had all 3 fish and personally would go w kole tang and foxface and not yellow tang.
Oh, not sure if u are already aware but tang should be last fish added or else they'll bully any new additions.

Sorry, that was not clear at all :) I was thinking maybe move Anthias up the list, however, I do hear the six line eats them too.

Anthias x2
Firefish x2
Wrasse Six line
Chromis x3
Foxface
Flame Angel
Mandarin
Kole Tang

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you cycled your new tank so at what point do you introduce copepods? Do you place them in your Refugium or tank or both? Will you need to feed them phytoplankton at any point? Or is phytoplankton another subject all together?
So many questions sorry.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you cycled your new tank so at what point do you introduce copepods? Do you place them in your Refugium or tank or both? Will you need to feed them phytoplankton at any point? Or is phytoplankton another subject all together?
So many questions sorry.
You can introduce pods as soon as your tank is finished cycling. You can add them to your fuge and your display, but make sure to do it at night so your fish don't eat them.

Adding phytoplankton isn't necessary, but it will make your pods more nutritious and they will reproduce faster.

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever need to repopulate your copepods? How’s the best way to know you have a healthy population? Can they ever get out of hand in your Fuge?

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Do you ever need to repopulate your copepods? How’s the best way to know you have a healthy population? Can they ever get out of hand in your Fuge?

I only added pods once and fed a bit at the start with phyto and 6 months later I looked in the fuge and they were everywhere. So, as long as they are in a safe place they will populate.

Feeding may speed that up but I never did. I am thinking about culturing my own soon. Buying bottles is robbery here in Canada. 29.99 for a small bottle.

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is an expensive venture for sure. I have yet to jump back into this hobby again for that fact alone. I did enjoy it very much though. I have been doing my research on every aspect. Thanks for your input.

Back