Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Fauna Marine and ask if they keep a reserve of your sample for a new analyse.

But I think you are right - if the result is right - it should have affect your animals. How is it with your micro algae and the algae film on the windows - is they growing as usual? Micro algae is very sensitive for copper and if your measurement really is 60 µg - you should have a very algae free aquarium.

Her is a link

Sincerely Lassse

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Fauna Marine and ask if they keep a reserve of your sample for a new analyse.

But I think you are right - if the result is right - it should have affect your animals. How is it with your micro algae and the algae film on the windows - is they growing as usual? Micro algae is very sensitive for copper and if your measurement really is 60 µg - you should have a very algae free aquarium.

Her is a link

Sincerely Lassse
Thank you Lasse!
Algae is growing fine. I actually just scraped the 3 panels of glass. Tank is new so it’s going through ugly phase. The live rock is from my nano. Some has been in for about 4 weeks and some only about 5 days.
99CEDEDC-633F-4A84-AE3C-D6BC7979AE6C.jpeg

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Lasse . That puts my mind at ease right now.
My macroalgae from refugium was doing fine too, untill i put my pincushion urchin down there. Its decimating it.
But that’s where he needs to stay for now because he was eating all the coraline off my live rock that I was using to seed the display. What was left I just put into my nano yesterday and it looked good.
7E6C664D-E604-4605-9A40-3AD0E448A9AD.jpeg

I'll see what ATI comes back with. :D

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I can have wrong - it has happens before :p:p:p. But this time I really hope that I´m right. and does the urchin still live - it will strengthen my thoughts.

Sincerely Lassse

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I can have wrong - it has happens before :p:p:p. But this time I really hope that I´m right. and does the urchin still live - it will strengthen my thoughts.

Sincerely Lassse
Yes. He’s still alive. How can an urchin the size of a coin eat so much algae!
It’s unfortunate that he chooses the good stuff over the stuff I want him to eat!:p

And yes, maybe copper is in a form that is not Hurting anything... We will see.

My polyfilter just came In the mail, so I put that in the sump too now.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up on this thread.
I sent a sample of RODI and tank water to ATI and there was not a bit of copper, nothing. Which is odd because I only did a 25 gallon water change (40%) and used cuprisorb. I do not think that would bring the level of 63 to undetectablebut maybe it did.

My RODI was 0 for every element

My tank water is only showing high for aluminum (15.03 ug/l) which is similar to fauna marin result.
interestingly it also shows high for tin (9.08 ug/l) Which fauna marin showed as 0.

I really don’t know what to make of these tests...

One thing that concerns me is that the ATI test was lost in transit for 3 weeks. Would that have made any of the elements In the water undetectable?
Or could it have allowed tin to leach from the plastic tubes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aluminum is not that high and isn't typically an issue at that level. I'd ignore it. Same probably for the tin.

The cuprisorb and other processes may have dropped the copper, or one of the two tests might be erroneous.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Smsreef,

in my opinion those variable results are very much connected to the fact that non-filtered water is sent to these labs.

Small particulates (such as small feed particels but also planctonic organisms) can contain a high concentration of metals such as zinc, manganese or copper. Also bioaccumulation in plancton is very significant. So the outcome of the analysis is dependent on the number of particulates finding the way into your sample tube. The optimum number would be 0 of course, which can only be achieved using microfiltration (0,5 µm or less) using a suitable membrane.

All the best,
Christoph

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Smsreef,

in my opinion those variable results are very much connected to the fact that non-filtered water is sent to these labs.

Small particulates (such as small feed particels but also planctonic organisms) can contain a high concentration of metals such as zinc, manganese or copper. Also bioaccumulation in plancton is very significant. So the outcome of the analysis is dependent on the number of particulates finding the way into your sample tube. The optimum number would be 0 of course, which can only be achieved using microfiltration (0,5 µm or less) using a suitable membrane.

All the best,
Christoph
Thanks Christoph

I was feeding my tank daily with phyto for the first sample. Maybe that or the other microbes that eat the phyto made it into my water. I stopped because most F/2 fertilizer has copper and I thought this had built up somehow in my tank.

The second ICP With undetectable copper, I had stopped dosing phyto so maybe there was less of a microbe population with copper in it.

I have started dosing phyto again, so next time I will filter the water first.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back