Copper and Butterfly possible ick

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9146BAA6-59FB-46D1-B95A-C320D424D10E.jpeg

Just got this beautiful Copperband two days ago. It’s been swimming fine and has been a wonderful new addition to my tank. It didn’t go into quarantine because I got it from the same fish store as the other fish and added them at the same time. This morning I woke up and noticed some white on its rear fin. Wanted to get second thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_7444.MOV
    12.8 MB

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos aren't good enough to be definitive but it doesn't look like whitespot. Whitespot will give your fish multiple white spots, not a clump of cloudy tissue.

If I had to guess right now I'd say it looks like the start of lymphocystis, a usually harmless viral infection which is best left to run its course.

I would give serious thought to quarantining, though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
9146BAA6-59FB-46D1-B95A-C320D424D10E.jpeg

Just got this beautiful Copperband two days ago. It’s been swimming fine and has been a wonderful new addition to my tank. It didn’t go into quarantine because I got it from the same fish store as the other fish and added them at the same time. This morning I woke up and noticed some white on its rear fin. Wanted to get second thoughts.
The spots you see coincide with the species as butterflies and angels are very susceptible to lymphocystis which represents cauliflower.
Lympho as its called for short is generally tiggered by poor water quality and/or diet.
Poor water quality can be as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be from the LFS tank and not yours.
Assure youre providing optimum water quality verified by a reliable test kit and Good diet such as:
Marine cuisine
spirulina brine shrimp
LRS fish frenzy or herbivore diet
mysis shrimp
Formula 2 frozen
hikari veggie diet

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally. In turn, the nodes will fall off on its own

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll test the water and do a water change just to ensure all levels stay low. I also have a better picture just to see if it helps.
75FDBB48-154B-4943-AD2C-3A9F4A2252BE.jpeg

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% lymphocystis. No biggie, It will go away in time on its own. Just provide good clean water and a well varied diet and let the fish do the rest.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s a relief, I appreciate the help, thanks a ton :)
While that is definitely Lymphocystis and will resolve on its own, since the fish wasn’t quarantined, you need to remain vigilant for other issues. Ich will look like white grains of salt on the body and fins that come and go over days, gradually getting worse. Flukes will show as a general tattered appearance and velvet will cause rapid breathing.
Make sure you feed it multiple times a day as much as it will eat - it is a bit thin.
Good luck!
Jay

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is definitely Lymphocystis and will resolve on its own, since the fish wasn’t quarantined, you need to remain vigilant for other issues. Ich will look like white grains of salt on the body and fins that come and go over days, gradually getting worse. Flukes will show as a general tattered appearance and velvet will cause rapid breathing.
Make sure you feed it multiple times a day as much as it will eat - it is a bit thin.
Good luck!
Jay
+1 to this. I nearly lost a copperband to flukes. By the time you really see symptoms its usually close to being too late in a juvenile cbb.

OP
OP
L

LoganGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things like this are good to know; i’m new to reefing so you have been extremely helpful. I’ve only been feeding twice a day, but i’ll give one or two smaller feedings throughout the day and keep a close eye for other issues.

Back