Copper and filefish

Cynful

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aiptasia eating filefish in copper (copper power) for 2 days now. Still haven't given the full dose, just ramping up while I wait for my Hannah tester tomorrow. He did not show signs of ich but his tankmate did (and died while in copper) so I was treating them both. So he's eating ok, but seems very stressed. He spends the entire day glass surfing and pacing. You can just tell he's not happy. My qt is a 10 gal, sponge filter and thermometer. I put in two tiny rocks from display tank (and will keep them in this only as a copper tank. Oh and some bio-rings. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Is this behaviour ok for the filefish? Is he showing signs of sensitivity to copper? Should I be doing anything else? I'm letting the DT go fallow for the next 90 days.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aiptasia eating filefish in copper (copper power) for 2 days now. Still haven't given the full dose, just ramping up while I wait for my Hannah tester tomorrow. He did not show signs of ich but his tankmate did (and died while in copper) so I was treating them both. So he's eating ok, but seems very stressed. He spends the entire day glass surfing and pacing. You can just tell he's not happy. My qt is a 10 gal, sponge filter and thermometer. I put in two tiny rocks from display tank (and will keep them in this only as a copper tank. Oh and some bio-rings. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Is this behaviour ok for the filefish? Is he showing signs of sensitivity to copper? Should I be doing anything else? I'm letting the DT go fallow for the next 90 days.

Thanks,
Cynthia
Copper Power is pretty mild, filefish can tolerate it at full dose. Since your dose isn’t there yet, you should look towards other causes of this.
How large is the fish?
What are you measuring ammonia with?
I think you should look at lighting - maybe cover the sides of the tank outside with dark paper. Also, watch the fish remotely (phone video) to ensure it just isn’t glass surfing when you are in the room watching it.
Jay

OP
OP
Cynful

Cynful

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish is about 2 inches, maybe 2.5. Ammonia is API test kit. He has no light on the tank except ambient lightning in the room which isn't much. I'll do that tho with the sides, it might help. And he does it all the time, just not when I'm looking at him.

Cynthia

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish is about 2 inches, maybe 2.5. Ammonia is API test kit. He has no light on the tank except ambient lightning in the room which isn't much. I'll do that tho with the sides, it might help. And he does it all the time, just not when I'm looking at him.

Cynthia

API ammonia tests can be difficult to read.

Another trick is to have the room darker than the tank. Covering the sides helps with that. The issue is that when the room is brighter than the tank, the fish can see out clearly, so it may try to swim in that direction. When the tank is brighter than the room, the room isn't as visible to the fish.

Jay

Back