Copper band refusing to eat aiptasia.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have bought this little fellow in the hopes of it addressing my aiptasia problem. From the day I got him I haven’t seen him touch the aiptasia (their numbers are only increasing). It also doesn’t eat mysis or pellets but does eat clams. Had him for one month. Any suggestions to get him to eat the aiptasia?
68F67310-C5FA-4B37-BC3E-30D25F195721.jpeg

tank is a 60 gallon mixed reef, the copper band is a temporary resident.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had one eat aiptasia. Try one of the aiptasia eating filefish. The only downside is once they've cleaned them out, they may starve.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had one eat aiptasia. Try one of the aiptasia eating filefish. The only downside is once they've cleaned them out, they may starve.
well that's a bummer only reason I did not get an aiptasia eating file fish is because they tend to go after meaty lps.
any experience with peppermint shrimp?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I found this: "You may be able to train a Copperband Butterflyfish to eat aiptasia by feeding the aiptasia the Copperband Butterflyfish's favorite food."

Good luck with that. In my experience, aiptasia immediately retreats when anything touches it. Also, you'd have to liquefy the copperband food.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they eat them, sometimes they don't. He may never seen an aiptasia where he comes from but may start to like them eventually. Even if he doesn't, they are a great fish to have.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they eat them, sometimes they don't. He may never seen an aiptasia where he comes from but may start to like them eventually. Even if he doesn't, they are a great fish to have.
They indeed are wonderful, thank you!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Are you still having issues with aiptasia? I have tried every method the last couple years and they just keep multiplying, my File Fish helps a little I think. Ever since my skimmer started releasing micro-bubbles six months ago my aiptasia are not spreading anymore. I only run my skimmer when DT lights are off so I was in no hurry to fix that issue, then I noticed most aiptasia are gone and decided to keep it that way.

If you want try a wooden air defuser and air pump to put micro-bubbles in your sump only when lights are off. Has not affected my corals or fish, water quality is a little better because the bubbles help filter the water by attaching to particles to keep them in the water column for the filter to catch. Let me know what you decide.

OP
OP
A Young Reefer

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Are you still having issues with aiptasia? I have tried every method the last couple years and they just keep multiplying, my File Fish helps a little I think. Ever since my skimmer started releasing micro-bubbles six months ago my aiptasia are not spreading anymore. I only run my skimmer when DT lights are off so I was in no hurry to fix that issue, then I noticed most aiptasia are gone and decided to keep it that way.

If you want try a wooden air defuser and air pump to put micro-bubbles in your sump only when lights are off. Has not affected my corals or fish, water quality is a little better because the bubbles help filter the water by attaching to particles to keep them in the water column for the filter to catch. Let me know what you decide.
Hey yes I am still having a problem, my lfs just got a shipment of aiptasia eating file fish. I will go ahead and buy one and see how it goes. I will give the micro bubble scrubbing a try in case if the file fish doesn’t work.
Thank you!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yes I am still having a problem, my lfs just got a shipment of aiptasia eating file fish. I will go ahead and buy one and see how it goes. I will give the micro bubble scrubbing a try in case if the file fish doesn’t work.
Thank you!
Looked like my File Fish could not keep up with them spreading, also he cannot get to all areas of the tank so you will still have aiptasia. The ones my File Fish could not get the bubbles do. Good luck with your File, I love mine. They also like seaweed on a clip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back