Copper in an aquarium before turning it into a reef and or just having inverts

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to add copper to my display because all i got right now is a fowlr but my fish in my display are covered in ick and some black ick i noticed as well. I have 5 cleaner shrimp i know i would have to remove them but i was planning on possibly turning it into a reef tank one day is it possible on pulling all the copper back out with absorbent medias or is it forever going to be a fowlr either way im not to mad because im not finished stocking the aquarium and i would like to get some fish i never had before because of them not being reef safe but would love to have have a 125 gallon reef aquarium as well. Either way it goes i wouldn't mind a fowlr or reef but just wanted advice on the copper treatment.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems will come from it. Your rocks and sand will soak it up, so hard to maintain the right amount of copper. Then after it'll be a process just trying to get it out of your system. During which it can be harmful to inverts

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The copper will bind to your rocks. This is the main reason why people treat fish in a hospital tank. I wouldn't do it this way if you have plans for a reef. Your inverts will die too if the copper is still in the rocks.

You just got to bite the bullet and do it right the 1st time. Take all your fish out of your Display and treat them in a QT tank. It doesn't have to be a fancy tank. A cheap auqeon 20 gallon at Walmart is perfect.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering it would be worth the headache trying to get all my fish out because all my rocks are glued and puttied together and i have dartfish and a couple gobies and it would be annoying trying to get them out or is it just easier to keep it a fowlr and get some different fish that i would have never thought about stocking like a majestic angel.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning a reef, don’t ever add copper to the display. It’s a hassle.

I personally would try peroxide with a UV in the display before breaking down the tank for ich. Peroxide is reef safe and results are extremely promising.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier said than done i dont have anything that would be able to hold the amount of water that my tank has its a 125 gallon aquarium

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning a reef, don’t ever add copper to the display. It’s a hassle.

I personally would try peroxide with a UV in the display before breaking down the tank for ich. Peroxide is reef safe and results are extremely promising.
How much peroxide would you recomend for a 125

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right way to do things would be to move all fish to quarantine and treat there. Display tank would need to be fallow for 60 days. Any other option would be ich management rather than getting rid of the issue.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to set up a system and let it cycle for a qt. I was already trying to figure out that whole situation for future additions as far as stepping up qt game a lot and qt everything that i get from here on out problem is i dont have a lot of space to work with for a qt.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering however do you guys think that i should just copper the tank and just keep it a fowlr because i have some stuff set up for a reef tank but i have to still get reef lighting which will be a little while off.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering however do you guys think that i should just copper the tank and just keep it a fowlr because i have some stuff set up for a reef tank but i have to still get reef lighting which will be a little while off.
I think everyones input so far has been that that is Not a good idea for multiple reasons.

A qt does not need to be the same size as your main tank.

Test some information about the current tank, pictures may help, What you have in there.. We can try to help set up an appropriately sized quarantine tank, which you would also be able to use in the future.

Bombing live rock with copper is always the very last option in my opinion

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fish in the aquarium is a magnificent foxface and hes about 3 1/2 to 4 inches then i got a hippo tang that's about 2 inches to 2 1/2 inches then i got three red dartfish a yellow watchman goby a helfrichi dartfish a diamond watchman goby a solar fairy wrasse a tail spot blenny and a pajama cardinal

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fish in the aquarium is a magnificent foxface and hes about 3 1/2 to 4 inches then i got a hippo tang that's about 2 inches to 2 1/2 inches then i got three red dartfish a yellow watchman goby a helfrichi dartfish a diamond watchman goby a solar fairy wrasse a tail spot blenny and a pajama cardinal
These fish could All qt in a 29 or 40b easily.

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter socks and a sponge before it gets back to the return pump

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back