Copper or...?

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I changed my QT regimen similar to what @HotRocks is doing. But currently I have my copper levels at around .27-.3 (checked with Hanna HR Copper Checker). So 4 fish arrived: A potters angelfish, a multicolor angelfish, a flame angelfish and a scribbled angelfish. All of them in my 45g QT. I floated them to match the temp and dumped them into the tank (same salinity) yesterday night (timezone’s different). I tried feeding a few pellets a while ago but no one seems interested. The potters and multicolor are hiding in a PVC pipe while the flame and scribbled just go around a corner when I come by the tank. They’re all eating pellets at the LFS. I understand that they have not yet stayed for at least 24 hours in my tank. I’m just worried: Is their refusal to eat due to the new environment or is the copper suppressing their appetite? If it is not the copper, how many days should I wait to safely conclude that it is the copper suppressing the appetite? Appreciate your inputs. I use Cupramine, btw.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other food other than pellets to offer? I use a high quality blend of frozen and I keep live foods on hand as well. I've got a bunch of finicky angels in QT now that all are throwing down frozen and live food dropped right into 1.0ppm chelated copper. They just arrived Saturday. A red Sea sohal and clown tang as well.

Some fish may eat pellets and or flake. But IME most fish start eating frozen well before processed dry food.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have some frozen food available. I can try them once I get home after I clean off the pellets.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have some frozen food available. I can try them once I get home after I clean off the pellets.
Let me know if that makes a difference. I prefer to mix several types of cubes. Either slump in fridge or nuke in microwave, strain off liquid, and then add vitamins and a bit of garlic guard for flavor.

This way there is a little something for everyone.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if that makes a difference. I prefer to mix several types of cubes. Either slump in fridge or nuke in microwave, strain off liquid, and then add vitamins and a bit of garlic guard for flavor.

This way there is a little something for everyone.

Will do. Another question, is it really normal for the potters and multicolor angela to be constantly hiding?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other food other than pellets to offer? I use a high quality blend of frozen and I keep live foods on hand as well. I've got a bunch of finicky angels in QT now that all are throwing down frozen and live food dropped right into 1.0ppm chelated copper. They just arrived Saturday. A red Sea sohal and clown tang as well.

Some fish may eat pellets and or flake. But IME most fish start eating frozen well before processed dry food.

@HotRocks, what's your live food of choice.?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks, what's your live food of choice.?
Depends on what is in QT. I usually always keep live blackworms and brine for new fish in QT. If I'm dealing with finicky angels I like live mussel or clams (from the grocery). Sometimes frozen clams on a half work. Right now I have a puffer that is being difficult. Trying feeder guppies.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Another question, is it really normal for the potters and multicolor angela to be constantly hiding?
Sometimes, potters can be reclusive. Multicolor as well. If they’re eating I wouldn’t worry. You’ll want to get them eating within the week if possible if they do not now :)

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, potters can be reclusive. Multicolor as well. If they’re eating I wouldn’t worry. You’ll want to get them eating within the week if possible if they do not now :)

At this point I’m not yet so worried since they’re not yet 24 hours in the QT. The only thing I’m worrying is copper toxicity since they’re sensitive to it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I’m not yet so worried since they’re not yet 24 hours in the QT. The only thing I’m worrying is copper toxicity since they’re sensitive to it.
You shouldn't be toxic. You want to go to .5ppm and stop with cupramine.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what is in QT. I usually always keep live blackworms and brine for new fish in QT. If I'm dealing with finicky angels I like live mussel or clams (from the grocery). Sometimes frozen clams on a half work. Right now I have a puffer that is being difficult. Trying feeder guppies.

I wish there were more live options in my area. About all I can find are brine shrimp.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update

Potters and multicolor are starting to come out a little more. Everyone’s taking a peck of the pellets and frozen food once in a while. Not yet voracious eaters, but at least, that’s a good sign!

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s one thing that’s quite odd though, the flame angel loves to hang out on a spot beside my pump (pump for my OHF) that is at the edge of the tank, ever since he was introduced, he stayed there although it comes out from time to time. It’s odd because it’s a flame angel, and I know they are sometimes notoriously evil. At this point the potters is a little more outgoing than my flame lol

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, how long can fish survive without eating?
That would depend on the overall health of the fish, also the type of the fish. This is broad but anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update, so after 72 hours in the QT:

Scribbled Angelfish - doing well so far, starts to eat frozen mysis, frozen angel mix, pellets. Not yet eating voraciously, but a good start

Potter’s Angel - takes a nibble here and there, not much “eating”

Multicolor Angel - doesn’t eat due to the food items being too big to fit in its mouth, I started to drop some NLS Thera A 0.5mm pellets. Let’s see what happens

Flame Angel - doesn’t eat anything, although grazes the pump and glass once in a while.

Haven’t been able to observe them a whole day, but I’ll be dropping by a local pet store tomorrow to pick up some dog food and then be able to observe them for a good amount of time compared to the past 72 hours. They also have Seachem Garlic Guard and Entice. I really don’t want to use garlic products due to its potential damage to the liver of fish, unless they can entice my fish to eat the food varieties I offer. Should I get one? And should I start to get worried?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update:

Was able to grab hold of a bottle of garlic guard and easy reefs masstick. I didn't try the garlic guard yet but the masstick did wonders. The scribbled kept on pecking on the masstick while the others were pecking on the floor near the masstick (including the flame), must be some of the masstick particles that fell off

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ran into a bit of a problem, the potter’s suddenly wouldn’t eat. He hangs out in his PVC pipe most of the time, but can sometimes “hang out” with the other angels in the qt. He stopped grazing the floor full of pellets/frozen food all of a sudden. Hopefully, @4FordFamily or @HotRocks or any other who could offer their insight can help. Params are fine and there’s copper in the tank.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did an FW dip on the little guy, no signs of flukes either.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back