Copper Poisoning? Niger Trigger

fourseasonoutdoorsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me if this is copper poisoning or something else?
IMG_20200921_081923.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the copper levels in your tank? Is there a reason you think it might be?

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the copper levels in your tank? What other fish are in the tank? what are your parameters? how long has he been in the tank? how old is the tank?

OP
OP
F

fourseasonoutdoorsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the copper levels in your tank? Is there a reason you think it might be?
I am still working up to a therapeutic level. I've had to elevate it quickly with the current reading at 1.36ppm according to the hanna checker.

I was thinking poisoning due to the rate of increase. I began this dosing yesterday morning.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would not be copper poisoning. Triggers are fine with copper, I take them up to full dose right away with no issue.
I’m looking at the lesion on the belly-there is a disease called “filagree disease” that is caused by a parasitic nematode burrowing under the skin...perhaps the copper killed the nematodes and toxic shock resulted?
Jay

OP
OP
F

fourseasonoutdoorsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the copper levels in your tank? What other fish are in the tank? what are your parameters? how long has he been in the tank? how old is the tank?

Current Copper reading: 1.36ppm
It's inhabitants are currently a YE Kole Tang and Lavender Tang.
The QT tank is 3 weeks old.
The trigger has been in the tank since Sept 15th.

For SA: There was a velvet outbreak I saw Sunday morning. The PBrown died overnight. The niger was visibly distressed and not moving much. The lavender was behaving normal, but definitely had it all over. The YE Kole seemed completely fine. He has since gotten some of it. I immediately did a 50% WC and started my CP regiment w/ hanna checker. I'm shooting for 2.25ppm over the course of 48hrs because of the severity of the situation...not ideal, I know.

OP
OP
F

fourseasonoutdoorsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would not be copper poisoning. Triggers are fine with copper, I take them up to full dose right away with no issue.
I’m looking at the lesion on the belly-there is a disease called “filagree disease” that is caused by a parasitic nematode burrowing under the skin...perhaps the copper killed the nematodes and toxic shock resulted?
Jay

Do you think I should provide it relief from copper? Or stay the course.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have never heard of " “filagree disease” a quick google search doesnt bring it up and looking through all my books haven seen it there either. Can you provide me some more information on this as I would simply love to read about it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I have never heard of " “filagree disease” a quick google search doesnt bring it up and looking through all my books haven seen it there either. Can you provide me some more information on this as I would simply love to read about it.
It’s pretty rare, mostly seen in morays and rays. There are some pics on Google, but hard to find, try searching for moray worm disease. I’ve never seen this on triggers, and am just speculating that it could be that. Not sure what else could account for the squiggling lines...
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back