Copper Power 2.50-2.56

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I’ve been dosing my qt for the past few days with copper power. I dosed 5ml today. I used the Hanna checker. I tested 3 times, but keep getting different results. 2.56ppm, 2.50ppm, and 2.54ppm. I’m being extra paranoid because this is my fist time doing a QT and a DT. I have a blue tang and 2 clowns. All juveniles. Tang is kind of twitching, but it might be because I’ve been around the tank a lot today and is stressed.

What ppm is copper toxic to fish?

Thanks for any advice given! E8611089-C0FE-4F90-BE7F-B63B0F8020AC.png

Attachments

• IMG_0592.MP4
    5 MB

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What PPM we're you aiming for. HumbleFish's guidelines for Copper Power are 2.5 for 30 days. I know mine has always been a hair over that and it's never been an issue. I *think* the safe limit is even higher, maybe closer to 2.75 or 3, but I'd have to check.
If you're concerned, do a partial water change to bring the level back down and when you get an answer you're comfortable with, get back up to the number and start your QT count down over.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very quickly poking around his site, I'm not finding the maximum safe level. You may want to look more because I'd swear it was a good amount over 2.5. I thought there was a thread where he spoke with the manufacturer about it, but that might be when he raised it to 2.5. However, I think tangs are more sensitive to it.
If he doesn't pop into this thread to give you an answer, you might want to post your question over on his forum. He responds to just about every thread and will discuss it with you at length.

Having said all that, I'll reiterate my advice that, if you're concerned, do a water change to drop the level of copper and worry about bumping it back up later. Even if you bring it down to 1.5ppm, I *think* you're still within the therapeutic range and if you keep it over 2, you shouldn't have to restart your QT countdown and it should be easier on the fish.

Edit: PS, you said twitching. Is the fish twitching or flashing? Flashing can be a symptom of something, likely ich or velvet.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.0-2.5 is fine. If your dealing with velvet you can go a little higher slowly after you reach 2.5 to 2.7.

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What PPM we're you aiming for. HumbleFish's guidelines for Copper Power are 2.5 for 30 days. I know mine has always been a hair over that and it's never been an issue. I *think* the safe limit is even higher, maybe closer to 2.75 or 3, but I'd have to check.
If you're concerned, do a partial water change to bring the level back down and when you get an answer you're comfortable with, get back up to the number and start your QT count down over.
Ok I was shooting for 2.5 but I wasn’t sure if going over 2.5 would case an OD

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very quickly poking around his site, I'm not finding the maximum safe level. You may want to look more because I'd swear it was a good amount over 2.5. I thought there was a thread where he spoke with the manufacturer about it, but that might be when he raised it to 2.5. However, I think tangs are more sensitive to it.
If he doesn't pop into this thread to give you an answer, you might want to post your question over on his forum. He responds to just about every thread and will discuss it with you at length.

Having said all that, I'll reiterate my advice that, if you're concerned, do a water change to drop the level of copper and worry about bumping it back up later. Even if you bring it down to 1.5ppm, I *think* you're still within the therapeutic range and if you keep it over 2, you shouldn't have to restart your QT countdown and it should be easier on the fish.

Edit: PS, you said twitching. Is the fish twitching or flashing? Flashing can be a symptom of something, likely ich or velvet.
I did some google searches but couldn’t find anything either.

When you’re “his site” are you referring to humble fish?

Is flashing when the fish changes color?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just my, rather uninformed, current knowldege of the subject. I could very well be wrong. I'd wait to hear from Humblefish or Jay (or Randy?) if it were me and I were concerned.
Humbefish is THE goto guy when it comes to QT, meds or sick fish.
And, I've never QT'd a tang. The only fish I've run through copper is two clown fish and a Royal Gramma.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just my, rather uninformed, current knowldege of the subject. I could very well be wrong. I'd wait to hear from Humblefish or Jay (or Randy?) if it were me and I were concerned.
Humbefish is THE goto guy when it comes to QT, meds or sick fish.
And, I've never QT'd a tang. The only fish I've run through copper is two clown fish and a Royal Gramma.
Ok thank you for the response! Yes I plan on qt everything that goes into my tank. Fish corals/invert. I’m doing my best to do it right the first time

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Effective range of Chealted copper is 1.50 – 2.00 PPM. Copper Power's instruction state to dose up to 2.50 PPM,

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you! I just needed some feedback to make sure they’ll be good
I don't use Copper Power, so I bought some and ran tests using the best lab technique I could muster (volumetric flask and micropipette) and when dosed by the label instructions, got 2.10 ppm copper on the Hanna tester (average), and 0.52 ppm ammonia.

Jay

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I’ve been dosing my qt for the past few days with copper power. I dosed 5ml today. I used the Hanna checker. I tested 3 times, but keep getting different results. 2.56ppm, 2.50ppm, and 2.54ppm. I’m being extra paranoid because this is my fist time doing a QT and a DT. I have a blue tang and 2 clowns. All juveniles. Tang is kind of twitching, but it might be because I’ve been around the tank a lot today and is stressed.

What ppm is copper toxic to fish?

Thanks for any advice given! E8611089-C0FE-4F90-BE7F-B63B0F8020AC.png
In my experience Copper Power doesn't have a high success rate. Next time, use seachme cupramine; it works way better and has never failed.
If The clown fish is twitching (and not flashing) then that's totally normally. Clownfish do that to show they are not a threat to a more dominant clownfish.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Copper Power doesn't have a high success rate. Next time, use seachme cupramine; it works way better and has never failed.
If The clown fish is twitching (and not flashing) then that's totally normally. Clownfish do that to show they are not a threat to a more dominant clownfish.
OP said the tang is twitching.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back