Copper power and Eells and Velvet /

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys .
I've a major problem and a qt tank would have prevented this so never again without one.
So the tank has mostly soft corals with a decent fish population that's come down with ich/velvet perhaps both .
The last fish was introduced over a few months ago and up until was week things were going swimmingly :p
Then the outbreak began .
Cloudy eyes a few fish and covered in very fine spots more like a dusting at this point .
Lost one angel that stopped eating and basically hid,gill rate was quite rapid before it died.
The rest have now developed cloudy eyes but acting normal not swimming into the current or light shy .. Velvet ?
The plan of action is removing all the fish with enough media to a large empty system and treat with copper power
let the tank go fallow for 8 weeks and 81 degrees to be safe .
The Problem is there's and Eel has anyone had an eel survive copper power at 2.5 ?
Any input would be Greatly appreciated .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi Guys .
I've a major problem and a qt tank would have prevented this so never again without one.
So the tank has mostly soft corals with a decent fish population that's come down with ich/velvet perhaps both .
The last fish was introduced over a few months ago and up until was week things were going swimmingly :p
Cloudy eyes a few fish and covered in very fine spots more like a dusting at this point .
Lost one angel that stopped eating and basically hid,gill rate was quite rapid before it died.
The rest have now developed cloudy eyes but acting normal not swimming into the current or light shy .. Velvet ?
The plan of action is removing all the fish with enough media to a large empty system and treat with copper power
The Problem is there's and Eel has anyone had an eel survive copper power at 2.5 ?
Eels are scaleless and don’t hold well with copper and they are almost resistant to ich. Often bacterial issues or high levels of ammonia and nitrate will cause issue with eyes. You can treat fish and eel safely with ruby rally pro as well as seachem kanaplex but before proceeding- please furnish clear pics of fish and eel under white lighting for assessment. Additionally, Best treatment safe for eels is General Cure.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your eel show any symptoms? If not and you have a clean tank to move them into, there may be a chance to save them. Eels have what I call a "super slime" coating and protazoan diseases have a very hard time attaching to a "healthy" eel. If you move that eel into a clean tank chances will be very good they will be no worse the wear.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dosed Gymnothorax eels with Coppersafe at 2.5, but they usually go off feed. What species do you have, does it have good body mass to carry it through a hunger strike?
The way you describe the symptoms, sounds like ich to me (video or pics could help confirm that). If do, another option would be hyposalinity at 1.009, and the eel would tolerate that better.
Jay

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys .

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
The eel is a golden dwarf but seems quite immune to any infection .
i've spoken to

vetteguy53081 he's recommended 5 treatments of Rally Pro .​

The symtoms are head shaking and rubbing gill plates against rocks two treatments of prazi pro were done with 8 days apart but didn't seem to improve anything .
the angel the died was an Interruptus :(
It's really taking off today 90% of the fish have signs of infection most have cloudy eyes .
water conditions are good with low levels of No3 and PO4 .
I'll try and figure out how to upload a video .

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
i've spoken to

The symtoms are head shaking and rubbing gill plates against rocks two treatments of prazi pro were done with 8 days apart but didn't seem to improve anything .
It's really taking off today 90% of the fish have signs of infection most have cloudy eyes .

Attachments

• VID-20230418-WA0005.mp4
    5.4 MB
OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals aren't so hot skimmer off during prazi caused the ph to crash 7.7 :/
It's back up to 8.2 now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
i've spoken to

Sorry, I've not dosed that species with copper, so I can't comment on that.

I still think hypo might be a way to go. There is a post about that in the sicky section at the top of the fish disease forum. Here is a link:

Jay

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I've not dosed that species with copper, so I can't comment on that.

I still think hypo might be a way to go. There is a post about that in the sicky section at the top of the fish disease forum. Here is a link:

Jay
Thanks Jay .
I'm just worried about pulling the trigger on hypo if it's velvet.
I'll give the Rally a five day trial and see if there's improvement.
Thanks for the assistance we really appreciate all the help you and others like vetteguy53081 provide

speedjester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with eels. But I can confirm Vetteguys recommendation. I had a Velvet outbreak on my outdoor DT. ( Loaded with inverts and coral.). I dosed RRR for 15 consecutive days. (I’m Not recommending this regime follow directions on bottle) It stopped the velvet. With no impact on anything except giving the water a greenish tint. Which cleared after a few days.

It’s been over a yr and no Velvet.

OP
OP
Stormhaven

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with eels. But I can confirm Vetteguys recommendation. I had a Velvet outbreak on my outdoor DT. ( Loaded with inverts and coral.). I dosed RRR for 15 consecutive days. (I’m Not recommending this regime follow directions on bottle) It stopped the velvet. With no impact on anything except giving the water a greenish tint. Which cleared after a few days.

It’s been over a yr and no Velvet.
That's given me some hope.
I'll be starting the first dose this morning .
Running the skimmer with the cup off is ok I'd assumed or turn the skimmer off completely?
Thanks

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shared your situation and lost 50% of my fishes. On Jay’s advice, I went with copper power for 30+ days at 2.5ppm, followed by 3 doses of PraziPro at 7 days interval, without further lost of fish. I have 2 banana moray which I separately treat with PraziPro only, and prior to reuniting with their tank mates, put them through a 2 week TTM, with 30min 150ppm H2O2 bath in between transfer.

IMG_7048.jpeg

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my opinion isn't the most popular, I strongly suggest not exposing your eel to copper. Most importantly, it is just not necessary. Remove the eel to their own tank, most times they will not need any further action. If concerned, hypo is the way to go. I have removed many eels from protozoan infected tanks, and if done in a timely manner while the eel is still unaffected, it is close to 100%.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back