Copper Power Dissipates ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input I have tried Hypo several time ick gone during the treatment which I done for 45 day 3 weeks later back with a vengeance same with past copper dosages. Good for a month after treatment then back been going on for 2 1/2 years.
Which is likely because your levels are not stable 24.7

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what you mean by stable when I did hypo checked salinity everyday same with copper tested everyday.
Sorry - I probably wasn't clear. For some reason - you are having repeated Ich episodes (assuming thats the correct diagnosis - and I think it is). There are 2 possibilities - you need a higher copper level to kill your particular strain - OR - your levels are not consistent - so - If we think about the things that can affect copper levels:

1. The test is not accurate.
2. The levels are varying throughout the day
3. The Skimmer is removing some
4. It's a resistant strain of CI - which would be extremely unlikely.
5. I don't think you've added anything new - but if so - that can also be an issue

I'm not trying to be pushy - but there has to be a reason your treatments are not working - and the most likely reason is copper level issues.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I probably wasn't clear. For some reason - you are having repeated Ich episodes (assuming thats the correct diagnosis - and I think it is). There are 2 possibilities - you need a higher copper level to kill your particular strain - OR - your levels are not consistent - so - If we think about the things that can affect copper levels:

1. The test is not accurate.
2. The levels are varying throughout the day
3. The Skimmer is removing some
4. It's a resistant strain of CI - which would be extremely unlikely.
5. I don't think you've added anything new - but if so - that can also be an issue

I'm not trying to be pushy - but there has to be a reason your treatments are not working - and the most likely reason is copper level issues.
No I appreciate the time and advice you are given by all means. When it comes to being fussy its me I clean the sump socks 2 in the morning if I notice them almost full along with protein skimmer, as far as copper been using copper power and I keep it at 2.25 - 2.50 check it twice daily lately with a hanna checker. So I try to stay I top of it 24 hrs a day really, hate to see anything suffer or die. I am guilty with adding a few new ones. I hydrogen peroxide them for 30 minutes place them in QT tank then 6 days later Hydrogen peroxide bath again for 30 minutes and the release in big tank if they look healthy. I have had this problem from the beginning of this hobby purchasing a few fish then I feel had the strain from a aquarium store. Even use CP with no luck when tank is medicated I have no problem once totally removed like copper it comes back even if no new ones are added in the time frame, so any suggestion I do appreciate and I don't take it the wrong way. Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I appreciate the time and advice you are given by all means. When it comes to being fussy its me I clean the sump socks 2 in the morning if I notice them almost full along with protein skimmer, as far as copper been using copper power and I keep it at 2.25 - 2.50 check it twice daily lately with a hanna checker. So I try to stay I top of it 24 hrs a day really, hate to see anything suffer or die. I am guilty with adding a few new ones. I hydrogen peroxide them for 30 minutes place them in QT tank then 6 days later Hydrogen peroxide bath again for 30 minutes and the release in big tank if they look healthy. I have had this problem from the beginning of this hobby purchasing a few fish then I feel had the strain from a aquarium store. Even use CP with no luck when tank is medicated I have no problem once totally removed like copper it comes back even if no new ones are added in the time frame, so any suggestion I do appreciate and I don't take it the wrong way. Thanks
I would suggest that you try the protocol at the top of the forum - religiously - before adding new fish, etc. Though fish can get 'immunity' to cryptocaryon - there are different strains depending on where in the world the fish are coming from. I.e. Fish from the Atlantic - may not be immune to CI from the pacific, etc etc. Thus your fish may be being infected by different strains depending on what's added. I would consider another copper treatment - for 30 days - for your current fish. I might measure the copper level 2x/day for a couple days - to ensure there is no drop. Otherwise the measurement you want to check is the 'trough level' - i.e. before you're planning to add more. You do not want to measure the level right after adding the copper, per se. But - you can - to determine that it's not a toxic range. Hope this makes sense

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you try the protocol at the top of the forum - religiously - before adding new fish, etc. Though fish can get 'immunity' to cryptocaryon - there are different strains depending on where in the world the fish are coming from. I.e. Fish from the Atlantic - may not be immune to CI from the pacific, etc etc. Thus your fish may be being infected by different strains depending on what's added. I would consider another copper treatment - for 30 days - for your current fish. I might measure the copper level 2x/day for a couple days - to ensure there is no drop. Otherwise the measurement you want to check is the 'trough level' - i.e. before you're planning to add more. You do not want to measure the level right after adding the copper, per se. But - you can - to determine that it's not a toxic range. Hope this makes sense
I appreciate it Thanks

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back