Copper power dosage

kingseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, unfortunately Ich has wiped out my entire show tank as Canada has banned all copper-based medicine. I was finally able to get some copper power and have put in 110ml which is supposed to give me 2.5ppm of copper. Although, when I tested it with API copper tester, it gave me a concentration between 0.25 and 0.5ppm. Is the tester wrong or is the concentration wrong? I have no clue where I'm going wrong about this! This is the second full tank that has been wiped out by ich, please help!

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, unfortunately Ich has wiped out my entire show tank as Canada has banned all copper-based medicine. I was finally able to get some copper power and have put in 110ml which is supposed to give me 2.5ppm of copper. Although, when I tested it with API copper tester, it gave me a concentration between 0.25 and 0.5ppm. Is the tester wrong or is the concentration wrong? I have no clue where I'm going wrong about this! This is the second full tank that has been wiped out by ich, please help!
Hannah Checker is the only way to go with copper. Your live rock is probably absorbing copper, I had to dose almost double what was needed for my tank.

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this link as a dosing guide. Use Hanna checker as a definitive go to for measuring copper.

Ich is bad but make sure it's not velvet wiping out your tank.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might find one used on fb marketplace, otherwise prices are pretty uniform across all retailers. Watch for sales!

OP
OP
K

kingseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this link as a dosing guide. Use Hanna checker as a definitive go to for measuring copper.

Ich is bad but make sure it's not velvet wiping out your tank.

Thank you sm for the advice!!! I'm almost 100% its ich (symptoms: white spots, spots disappeared after a few days, the infection seemed to have progressed to internal, then they died), any chance you know how to best distinguish them?

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ich is a secondary infection. Never heard of it becoming internal. Most likely something else is stressing the fish making them susceptible to the ich infection.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back