Copper Power testing question

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to dose according to package initially and then monitor. Is not that you dont have to re-dose but you dont need to keep adding as this is a chelated form of copper. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm which is the minimum strength and 2.25 max. I generally compromise and dose at 1.75-1.85.( 1ml per gallon should get you there).
Regular testing is an absolute necessity. Dont bypass this step. lastly, when dosing copper of any form, add oxygen as copper will reduce oxygen levels slightly.

That is outdated dosing. Humblefish recommends 2.5ppm now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is outdated dosing. Humblefish recommends 2.5ppm now.
2.5 is max. I gave therapeutic minimums and humble fish recommendation was from 2018. It has been updated again. Go by manufacture new recommendation
Also Look up hot rocks article which is most accurate and updated

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Copper Power bottle specifies 2.5 ppm. That's what I target for QT. I use a canister filter filled only with poret foam for the main biologic filter and a couple of small foam filters and an air stone to keep oxygen levels up. I use a container of rinsed play sand when QT for wrasses or gobies, bare bottom otherwise. Nothing it tank that will absorb copper.

I use a Hanna checker. My experience has been that the copper level remains steady with no need for additions throughout the 30 day copper phase of QT, but I still test about every 3 days just to be sure I don't have any surprises. Note that if you allow water to evaporate from the QT and if you don't top off regularly, the copper concentration will actually increase

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Copper Power bottle specifies 2.5 ppm. That's what I target for QT. I use a canister filter filled only with poret foam for the main biologic filter and a couple of small foam filters and an air stone to keep oxygen levels up. I use a container of rinsed play sand when QT for wrasses or gobies, bare bottom otherwise. Nothing it tank that will absorb copper.

I use a Hanna checker. My experience has been that the copper level remains steady with no need for additions throughout the 30 day copper phase of QT, but I still test about every 3 days just to be sure I don't have any surprises. Note that if you allow water to evaporate from the QT and if you don't top off regularly, the copper concentration will actually increase
Correct- copper and salinity will increase through evaporation. Especially with chelated copper, the only thing that truly removes it is cuprisorb. Carbon has very little impact

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Humble.fish currently, just for those reading along, but follow the procedure(s) you're comfortable with.

How To Treat – First, it is important to know what kind of copper you are using. Below is a list of the most commonly available copper products, their therapeutic ranges and compatible copper test kit(s):

• Copper sulfate (0.20 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
  • Cuprion (0.20 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
  • Cupramine (0.5 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
  • Coppersafe (2.0 ppm): API copper test kit
  • Kordon Copper Aid (2.0 ppm): API copper test kit (Avoid this brand of copper; it’s too watered down)
  • Copper Power (2.5 ppm): API copper test kit (Click here for a Copper Power Dosing Calculator)
In addition to the aforementioned hobbyist grade test kits, the Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter (HI702) is a highly accurate “professional grade” test kit capable of reading all forms of copper: https://hannainst.com/hi702-copper-hr.html

** (I personally use Copper Power + Hanna copper colorimeter, and treat at 2.5 ppm.) **

** If you do not feel comfortable treating with chelated copper @ 2.5 ppm (or if the fish is a known copper sensitive species), I recommend treating with chelated copper @ 2.0 ppm. This is still therapeutic, but may not be sufficient for copper-resistant parasites, so observe the fish for at least 30 days afterwards (in a non-medicated QT) to ensure copper treatment was successful. **

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It remains in the water although levels fluctuate etc based on evaporation and maybe some absorption if you have sand etc in tank.
I normally get up to 2.2-2.3 and when I complete my quarantine I leave the tank running. When I get new fish I do a 55-65% water change and get levels back down to 1.0 and ramp up from there.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was at Infinite.

I have a tank that’s been running, without fish now for a few weeks. Just haven’t torn it down… I would bet money the copper is the same as I left it. Maybe in the morning I’ll do a test for “science”

Just for those playing along… I finally had reason to check my forgotten QT tank in the basement. Hanna - 2.32 ppm after all this time.

10G with sponge filter, bag of seachem matrix (1-2c), some pvc and a terracotta pot.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back