Copper Power testing question

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Chloroquine Phosphate up to this point for QT with good results, however I am trying to switch over to Copper Power because Chloroquine Phosphate is not so available anymore. Everywhere I read about copper treatment, people mention testing for copper levels regularly throughout treatment and redosing, even with Copper Power, but on the Copper Power bottle it says:

"Do not repeat dosage, unlike other copper medications, Copper Power does not precipitate. It remains active in the water for many months to prevent new outbreaks of disease"

What gives, are people testing for copper levels with this medication ill informed, or are they lying on the bottle?

I have a new flame Angel, just a baby and I can use what little Chloroquine Phosphate I have left, but its getting old. Should I just use it, or go with the Copper Power?

Last edited:

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only have to “re-dose” if you remove water (or have something absorbent in the tank).

My experience using copper power; dose 50% (test) wait 12hrs (test) dose other 50% (test). I have then tested following that and have not had the levels change at all, even 14 days later — do not need to add more, level is rock solid.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only have to “re-dose” if you remove water (or have something absorbent in the tank).

My experience using copper power; dose 50% (test) wait 12hrs (test) dose other 50% (test). I have then tested following that and have not had the levels change at all, even 14 days later — do not need to add more, level is rock solid.

That's what I thought. Thanks. But what's the point in testing levels (which is expensive) if you are good at measuring. That's kind of what I'm getting at.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakes happen. I somehow managed to get up to 4.0 at once (emergency water change as a result, fish was actually ok for the 15min exposure) and I still don’t know how I goofed that bad.

You certainly can rely on your own skills, as with anything it’s your own level of comfort.

I have a Hanna checker and I think it’s around 50c a test. Adding a couple bucks onto the QT process while not insignificant is cheap insurance. Especially with fish that are ever increasing in cost!

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakes happen. I somehow managed to get up to 4.0 at one point and I still don’t know how I goofed that bad.

You certainly can rely on your own skills, as with anything it’s your own level of comfort.

I have a Hanna checker and I think it’s around 50c a test. Adding a couple bucks onto the QT process while not insignificant is cheap insurance. Especially with fish that are ever increasing in cost!

Good point with the cost of fish. Flame angels are about double the cost they were a year ago for some reason. I'll go ahead and test the levels.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand or rock? Where is the copper going?

Sterile, bare bottom QT. A biologically active sponge filter would be nice for added insurance, but I don't do that with Chloroquine Phosphate because I know it degrades it.

Last edited:

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was at Infinite.

I have a tank that’s been running, without fish now for a few weeks. Just haven’t torn it down… I would bet money the copper is the same as I left it. Maybe in the morning I’ll do a test for “science”

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have sand or rock? Where is the copper going?
No but i did have a decent amount of seachem matrix which is not supposed to absorb any. It was not an alarming amount that it was falling but enough for me to scratch my head and add a bit of copper once a week. Not sure where it was going but it was going somewhere... it worked out fine

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I run matrix as well and have not had any drops… not that I have an incredible amount data points. Something like 20 treatments… 14-30 day in a mix of 10 and 20 g tanks.

I would be curious to hear from others that have had drops.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized how confusing it probably is that I was abbreviating Chloroquine Phosphate as CP. I went back and edited my posts. I know Chloroquine Phosphate is generally safer than Copper, but with Chloroquine Phosphate you cant have biological filtration so there's the added risk of Ammonia. If copper holds up better to biological filtration, there's an obvious benefit there. But I have heard that flame angels don't handle copper well. A lot of factors here, perhaps I'm over thinking it.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, I run matrix as well and have not had any drops… not that I have an incredible amount data points. Something like 20 treatments… 14-30 day in a mix of 10 and 20 g tanks.

I would be curious to hear from others that have had drops.
Yea im not really sure why it was dropping but it would. Maybe it was something else i was doing. It was awhile ago, i dont remember the exact details. Either way the Hanna helped me stay therapeutic and the fish recovered from velvet. It was a success and went pretty smooth. Next time ill see if the same thing happens. Either way testing copper every other day if not every day is smart.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been using Chloroquine Phosphate up to this point for QT with good results, however I am trying to switch over to Copper Power because Chloroquine Phosphate is not so available anymore. Everywhere I read about copper treatment, people mention testing for copper levels regularly throughout treatment and redosing, even with Copper Power, but on the Copper Power bottle it says:

"Do not repeat dosage, unlike other copper medications, Copper Power does not precipitate. It remains active in the water for many months to prevent new outbreaks of disease"

What gives, are people testing for copper levels with this medication ill informed, or are they lying on the bottle?

I have a new flame Angel, just a baby and I can use what little Chloroquine Phosphate I have left, but its getting old. Should I just use it, or go with the Copper Power?
You want to dose according to package initially and then monitor. Is not that you dont have to re-dose but you dont need to keep adding as this is a chelated form of copper. Copper power is considered therapeutic at a Cu Level of 1.5ppm which is the minimum strength and 2.25 max. I generally compromise and dose at 1.75-1.85.( 1ml per gallon should get you there).
Regular testing is an absolute necessity. Dont bypass this step. lastly, when dosing copper of any form, add oxygen as copper will reduce oxygen levels slightly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back