copper power!! will it kill or will it not? always wanted to test this theory.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, odd find today. my copper levels are still held at 2-.2.5 2.31 to be exact. my straggler corals have died. no shocker there. but today. i saw all of my emerald crab crawling around picking at rocks like nothing was wrong. I also found about four of my trochus snails moving around.
I mean..... 2.3-2.5 ppm of copper in the tank? people say these guys (INVERTS) should be dead... they are not....... what the heck......... HAHAHAHAHA
Crabs might make it. Snails will eventually wither up. The algea they're eating is absorbing copper. If copper remains the cumulative effect will get most of them. Or.. you have super crabs and snails! I'm glad they're still kickin.

HD Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
day two. all remaining invert and coral stragglers are still alive, fish seem good .... got the copper at 2.5 ppm last night. will test tonight at the same time. i really wish the Hana checkers came with a liquid and not a powered reagent.

as I mentioned this is not going to be a short process. I will not add anything ( inverts) other than fish until I have insured and feel comfortable that all copper has been removed. as fo algee if it appears during this process. I have had great luck with flux Rx. I mean let's be clear, I'm not dosing copper in my DT, only to turn around in 3 days and by new inverts. lol, i mean really? lol

very few have done this before and most advice is based on "what we have been lead to believe"? I have been reading up on this it seems to be more success stories than sad ones.

one 4 page thread I read by Marc88 was about copper adding to his DT. it worked out fine. a lot of support went his way.

I mean I'm kind of excited to see just how long the stragglers and corals last. but most importantly I'm sick of watching my fish pass away. Then I will know for sure and will not be guessing anymore.

Happy thanksgiving
I copper treated my DT and now have the copper level down to 0.04 via hanna checker.
I'm running poly filter and cuprisorb in a reactor.
I have a tank full of copepods and snails and they are not affected whats so ever and have a few days ago added some ZOA frags and a Duncan, all off which seem fine so far.

I believe it can be done just like @Marc88

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I copper treated my DT and now have the copper level down to 0.04 via hanna checker.
I'm running poly filter and cuprisorb in a reactor.
I have a tank full of copepods and snails and they are not affected whats so ever and have a few days ago added some ZOA frags and a Duncan, all off which seem fine so far.

I believe it can be done just like @Marc88
I don’t think the Hanna checker is accurate at that low of a range. You’re probably actually at zero.
I am in a similar situation except I yanked my rocks. They’re in a tub. Then I treated with copper. I’m in day 6 of testing my fish, ironically after an Angel bright in velvet. Display tank at 2.35.
I tested my Rubbermaid of rocks and it came out. At 0.4

I tested my reef with no copper ever and tons of coral and inverts and it too showed around .4.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the Hanna checker is accurate at that low of a range. You’re probably actually at zero.
I am in a similar situation except I yanked my rocks. They’re in a tub. Then I treated with copper. I’m in day 6 of testing my fish, ironically after an Angel bright in velvet. Display tank at 2.35.
I tested my Rubbermaid of rocks and it came out. At 0.4

I tested my reef with no copper ever and tons of coral and inverts and it too showed around .4.
Correct pretty sure anything thing under 0- 0.01 range isn't accurate think it's a +5% accuracy rating . Been a bit since I looked into it Hanna may have updated the test not sure but the general consensus is it's not capable of reading those low ranges.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back