Copper problema with Nado tang

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.

Today I started my copper treatment in my fishes. Iam using Copper sulfate plus citric acid. I have a hepatus, a regal, a Orangeback wrasse and one Naso Tang. I started my ramp up with 0.08ppm of copper. All the other fishes are ok (well the wrasse stop eating but he is ok). But my Naso changes the behaviour completly in a matter of hours. He is breathing fast, swimming like a lazy and weak fish. He stop eating (he was eating like a pig) and stop swimming around the tank. Doesn't look like the same fish. I performed a 30% WC one hour ago but he still in the same way. I never heard about Naso Tang problems with copper! In fact, he was in copper in a DT (not sure about their copper levels) few days ago.
I will set up another tank without any copper to transfer him. Iam not sure If I should transfer him right now or wait until tomorrow. I have a 15gal tank to transfer him but i don't have more cycled media (ALL my cycled media are in my Qt). So, I will have to deal with amonia issues in this tank with prime or sth. The fish isnt big but It is a Tang...an amonia factory.
Should I do sth different? Can u give me any advice?

Thanks in advance

D.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After an hour and a half of the WC he is a little bit better but still swimming like a drunk fish, breathing fast and ignoring everything (food, other fish, etc). Iam finishing my water preparation, I guess i will transfer him as soon as possible .

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you used cycled media, but did you check ammonia?

Copper sulfate is ionic copper and fish tend to not tolerate this one as well as chelated copper.

Hybrid TTM is an experimental alternative to copper that has shown great promise.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You told yourself the answer.
You ramped up copper which it has a low tolerance of, and unless there was disease, there was no need to ramp it up. Do another water change tomorrow as the one you did increased oxygen levels. Run some carbon if needed to reduce the amount of copper.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper sulfate is ionic copper and fish tend to not tolerate this one as well as chelated copper.

Hybrid TTM is an experimental alternative to copper that has shown great promise.
Thanks for your reply. Yep. I have two amonia alert runing inside the Qt. Amonia seems fine. Maybe i should give a shot on TTM. In fact, i was expecting possible problems with the angel or with the wrasse but never with this Naso :-(.

OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You told yourself the answer.
You ramped up copper which it has a low tolerance of, and unless there was disease, there was no need to ramp it up. Do another water change tomorrow as the one you did increased oxygen levels. Run some carbon if needed to reduce the amount of copper.
Thanks. I was thinking Iam ramping up slowly. In fact, I was considering 4 days to achieve 0.2ppm. I wasnt expecting such a bad reaction in a fish that was in the same copper sulfate few days ago :-(. This is so bizarre because my regal os better than ever, eating like a pig. Do you think I should transfer him to this new (copper free) tank or wait until tomorrow?

Thank you guys!!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. I was thinking Iam ramping up slowly. In fact, I was considering 4 days to achieve 0.2ppm. I wasnt expecting such a bad reaction in a fish that was in the same copper sulfate few days ago :-(. This is so bizarre because my regal os better than ever, eating like a pig. Do you think I should transfer him to this new (copper free) tank or wait until tomorrow?

Thank you guys!!!!
0.2ppm is recommended for disease treatment not QT - keep that in mind for the future. I know some run that high during QT but it depends on species/tolerance . I run lower as I dont want them to develop an immuunity to normal dosage

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stuginski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are u talking about TTM plus H2O2 bath ir other one? I guess I read sth about this in some thread. I need to find It because I would will not use this cooper again and sadly I don't have access to any chelated copper product in my country :-/.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u talking about TTM plus H2O2 bath ir other one? I guess I read sth about this in some thread. I need to find It because I would will not use this cooper again and sadly I don't have access to any chelated copper product in my country :-/.
TTM with peroxide

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back