Copper therapeutic level

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, My copper level for therapeutic is 0.20 and im on day 18, just did a test and its droped to 0.19 ): am i starting all over again or is there any wiggle room.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, My copper level for therapeutic is 0.20 and im on day 18, just did a test and its droped to 0.19 ): am i starting all over again or is there any wiggle room.
Thank you
What test kit are you monitoring it with?
Therapeutic level is 2.25-2.5

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run cupramine at around .4-.5. Supposedly .20 is the absolute minimum but I would be afraid to stay that low due to testing errors.
IMHO you should start over at a higher level.

All of this is assuming you’re using cupramine and not copper power

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unless using cupramine
well, if we are going to expand. . . answer is:
Cupramine - at least 0.50
Ionic copper - at least 0.18
Coppersafe - 2.25 - 2.5

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if we are going to expand. . . answer is:
Cupramine - at least 0.50
Ionic copper - at least 0.18
Coppersafe - 2.25 - 2.5
I only quoted your post because suggesting someone dose up to 2.5ppm without knowing what they’re using is very easily fatal to the fish.

I only assumed they’re likely using cupramine because the minimum therapeutic level as stated by seachem is .2, and not .5. Although most people do aim for around .5 to allow for testing errors and fluctuations.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I only quoted your post because suggesting someone dose up to 2.5ppm without knowing what they’re using is very easily fatal to the fish.

I only assumed they’re likely using cupramine because the minimum therapeutic level as stated by seachem is .2, and not .5. Although most people do aim for around .5 to allow for testing errors and fluctuations.
You brought up a good point why I posted for all types

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Sounds like you are using an ionic citrates copper product. The other people that are responding aren’t familiar with this, as it isn’t that common in the US any more.

The range for this is 0.18 to 0.20, so you do not need to start over.

Jay

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are using an ionic citrates copper product. The other people that are responding aren’t familiar with this, as it isn’t that common in the US any more.

The range for this is 0.18 to 0.20, so you do not need to start over.

Jay
Cuprion is the only thing i could find on a short notice, and thank god lol i was feeling so good about this treatment tell it tested 0.19 lol

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run cupramine at around .4-.5. Supposedly .20 is the absolute minimum but I would be afraid to stay that low due to testing errors.
IMHO you should start over at a higher level.

All of this is assuming you’re using cupramine and not copper power
The veterinarian i had delt with was vary clear not to go above 0.25 but was unclear of the lower number so thus reef2reef

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The veterinarian i had delt with was vary clear not to go above 0.25 but was unclear of the lower number so thus reef2reef
Depending on the fish you have, 0.22 might be a better upper limit for that product.

How long do you lan to treat? I generally go 14 to 21 days.

The other copper/amine products being discussed are less toxic, and are run at a higher dose.

Jay

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay nailed it for me when he said it was a product I’m not familiar with. I’m glad that you don’t have to start over.
With what jay had added was ionic copper is safe at 0.18 but cuprion is .50
Depending on the fish you have, 0.22 might be a better upper limit for that product.

How long do you lan to treat? I generally go 14 to 21 days.

The other copper/amine products being discussed are less toxic, and are run at a higher dose.

Jay
Hi Jay. I was running it at .22 just for wiggle room and probably run the full 30 days as i could not get a clear answer on the parasite (velvet/Brook)

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using ionic copper and cupramine because it's levels are not stable and are easily absorbed. If I have a fish that requires a sand bed, all my math goes out the window and I end up wasting all my test reagents.

Use Copper Power. Add per directions, test 15 min later. If off, use maths to get the right about. Test a week later, number has barely changed. Took a total of two tests and one top off cause I calculated my water volume wrong. Stayed stable the entire 2 week proactive treatment.

With cupramine I was adding, then testing, then adding more, then my levels dropped by the next day so I had to add more, then fine for a couple days, then levels dropped again. For a 14 day treatment I had to test my levels 10 times and add cupramine 6 times.

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using ionic copper and cupramine because it's levels are not stable and are easily absorbed. If I have a fish that requires a sand bed, all my math goes out the window and I end up wasting all my test reagents.

Use Copper Power. Add per directions, test 15 min later. If off, use maths to get the right about. Test a week later, number has barely changed. Took a total of two tests and one top off cause I calculated my water volume wrong. Stayed stable the entire 2 week proactive treatment.

With cupramine I was adding, then testing, then adding more, then my levels dropped by the next day so I had to add more, then fine for a couple days, then levels dropped again. For a 14 day treatment I had to test my levels 10 times and add cupramine 6 times.
What a pain in the butt!! You must have lost your **** a few times hey.. I dont have a second tank so 14 days is kinda out of the question so thus 30 day treatment to be safe. I have 8 surviving fish out of 24 that are in qt so i used my 120 gallon. I cant control the ammonia a bit better this way. Hopefully this works but im still trying to catch the chromies out of my 560 gallon with no friggin luck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. I was running it at .22 just for wiggle room and probably run the full 30 days as i could not get a clear answer on the parasite (velvet/Brook)
Cuprion is different than Cupramine. Cuprion is dosed at 0.20 and Cupramine, being amine based, is dosed at 0.50
Jay

OP
OP
Ljshelby

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cuprion is different than Cupramine. Cuprion is dosed at 0.20 and Cupramine, being amine based, is dosed at 0.50
Jay
This is good info that is not really out there on the web

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a pain in the butt!! You must have lost your **** a few times hey.. I dont have a second tank so 14 days is kinda out of the question so thus 30 day treatment to be safe. I have 8 surviving fish out of 24 that are in qt so i used my 120 gallon. I cant control the ammonia a bit better this way. Hopefully this works but im still trying to catch the chromies out of my 560 gallon with no friggin luck
We just said screw it and took all of our live rock out. 300 gallon tank and it only took us like 30 minutes to remove live rock and around 20 fish, then another 45 to put it back and re aquacape it basically. Luckily we had nothing glued down, our coral aren’t glued either.

one benefit is that I like the new rock structures we did this time even more!!!

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just said screw it and took all of our live rock out. 300 gallon tank and it only took us like 30 minutes to remove live rock and around 20 fish, then another 45 to put it back and re aquacape it basically. Luckily we had nothing glued down, our coral aren’t glued either.

one benefit is that I like the new rock structures we did this time even more!!!
Another option is this fish trap from Amazon. We just took the rocks out so I haven’t tested this yet, but am using it as a mini hospital tank within our hospital tank because one chroma was being picked on lol. But it seems like it would do the trick of catching fish well. Another option for chromas is catch ‘em during the night. I caught all of our chromas at night.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back