Copper treatment in a DT, Documented

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have live rock in my qt cycle with coppersafe. Next week the copper will get taken out slowly and prazipro will go in. I fully intend on eventually someday putting this live rock in my display

Fishresponse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: after a week more of zero copper, I put in snails. all 4 seem to be happy as can be after several days.
I’m about to dose my display with copper as well. However, I’m going to take out much of the live rock so it will just be a few pieces of rock left and then about 80 lbs of sand. My main concern was viability of the rock and sand afterwards but your experience has helped gain some confidence in removing the copper. So thank you!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to dose my display with copper as well. However, I’m going to take out much of the live rock so it will just be a few pieces of rock left and then about 80 lbs of sand. My main concern was viability of the rock and sand afterwards but your experience has helped gain some confidence in removing the copper. So thank you!
Worth an update now then I guess, I was going to give it a little more time but yeah, after two weeks of snails having no issues (although one I can't seem to find... sure he's on a rock somewhere chillin like a villain, but I haven't seen him in a while. not on the tank floor, so most likely fine?? anyway, the other three are doing great, absolutely demolishing the algae build up on the back of my tank, so I decided to go ahead and put in my first corals (and I do mean my FIRST corals so take it easy on me) on last Tuesday and they've been doing their thing, actually think I've already got a new polyp on one, so pretty happy it seems!
1611295812437.jpeg

1611295809018.png

1611295942653.jpeg

1611295971025.jpeg

1611295966910.png

1611296011124.png

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear to everyone who reads this thread, My success (if you can call it that, given none of my fish made it) is not indicative of your success, and this is NOT something I'd ever recommend if you can avoid it! this has been a hard and LONG journey and I didn't even complete my copper treatment. This should absolutely be a last ditch effort, and I recommend if you can avoid it at all not doing it. That said, it IS possible to get the copper out, at least in some cases. I plan on running cuprisorb in my filter for at long as these rocks and this sand are in the tank. and the biggest piece of advice I can give for successfully reintroducing inverts is do not put anything into the tank until you have consistently 0 copper. I had numerous dips and spikes on its way down, so be prepared to see 0.04 one day and 0.14 the next at least a couple times.

Back