Copper treatment

TheShepherdTrio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing all but 2 fish due to what we believe was a velvet outbreak, (our fault for not quarantine before adding to main tank, we’ve definitely learned), we’ve finally moved the remaining 2 fish and have them in copper treated water. We have a melanurus wrasse and yellow watchman goby left. The yellow watchman was the last to catch and he’s been in the qt tank for a week. I ramped up the copper this evening.

Is this an acceptable level? Is there anything else I should do? These 2 fish have showed NO signs of velvet. It’s been about a month since our last fish died but it took me a while to be able to catch the remaining 2 fish and move them to quarantine. I leave these fish at the higher dose copper for 2 weeks before removing it right? We will be leaving the main tank fallow for 90 days just as an extra precaution. Right now it’s been fallow for a week. I just want to make sure I’m doing ok for these 2 fish.

Thanks for the help!
2F181CFB-1699-44EF-9B42-83D925945DE5.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After losing all but 2 fish due to what we believe was a velvet outbreak, (our fault for not quarantine before adding to main tank, we’ve definitely learned), we’ve finally moved the remaining 2 fish and have them in copper treated water. We have a melanurus wrasse and yellow watchman goby left. The yellow watchman was the last to catch and he’s been in the qt tank for a week. I ramped up the copper this evening.

Is this an acceptable level? Is there anything else I should do? These 2 fish have showed NO signs of velvet. It’s been about a month since our last fish died but it took me a while to be able to catch the remaining 2 fish and move them to quarantine. I leave these fish at the higher dose copper for 2 weeks before removing it right? We will be leaving the main tank fallow for 90 days just as an extra precaution. Right now it’s been fallow for a week. I just want to make sure I’m doing ok for these 2 fish.

Thanks for the help!
You can treat copper up to 2ppm. Assure good water quality and provide extra aeration via airstone.
You can cut Fallow to 45-55 days. Studies have shown 76 no longer warranted.

OP
OP
TheShepherdTrio

TheShepherdTrio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat copper up to 2ppm. Assure good water quality and provide extra aeration via airstone.
You can cut Fallow to 45-55 days. Studies have shown 76 no longer warranted.
We will still probably go fallow for 90 days just to be extra safe. It was an awful experience losing the majority of our fish and I want to minimize that chance again. We do have good water quality and an air stone in the qt tank. I know typically you’re not supposed to have sand in a QT tank but the wrasse sleeps under it and night and we wanted him to be as stress free as possible m. After these are done with their quarantine the sand will be thrown out and the tank will be bare bottom
BE39A405-E94F-4F6C-BC72-838B3B8F9255.jpeg

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will still probably go fallow for 90 days just to be extra safe. It was an awful experience losing the majority of our fish and I want to minimize that chance again. We do have good water quality and an air stone in the qt tank. I know typically you’re not supposed to have sand in a QT tank but the wrasse sleeps under it and night and we wanted him to be as stress free as possible m. After these are done with their quarantine the sand will be thrown out and the tank will be bare bottom
BE39A405-E94F-4F6C-BC72-838B3B8F9255.jpeg
I'm just going to be real with you. 90 days isn't going to work because you already have ich or velvet in that tank, both of those things can last longer than that without a living fish. Do you have Coral in your display tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
TheShepherdTrio

TheShepherdTrio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to be real with you. 90 days isn't going to work because you already have ich or velvet in that tank, both of those things can last longer than that without a living fish. Do you have Coral in your display tank?
Yes we have coral, quite a bit of it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the help!
Are you using Cupramine? If so, that looks like the proper dose (0.50 ppm).

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back