Copperband butterfly coral suggestions?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a loaded question but just trying to get others experience with keeping CBBs: I have a lovely 5”ish CBB who is currently my favorite fish in the tank. My tank is relatively new and I don’t have many corals, so I’m trying to figure out what the safer bets are with these fish. To date, he’s eaten/killed two small rock flower anemones (but left the others alone), nipped a plate coral that I was able to save and sell, and nips at acans when their polyps are extended. From those who’ve owned copperbands, what if any corals did they prefer and what did they ignore?

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it depends on the individual CBB. I had one that didn't touch anything because I actually managed to get him to eat mysis regularly. Many can be super picky and when they don't want to eat what you provide, they will turn to corals and inverts. I guess the biggest hurdle is just getting them to eat what you want them to eat, and not what you don't.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does not bother corals but my tank is well established so he eats prepared foods and picks at worms and such on the rocks.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think copperbands eat corals. I have SPS, LPS, and anemones, and it doesn't touch them. Not sure about softies.

Edit: just saw that yours ate corals. I stand corrected

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience it depends on the individual CBB. I had one that didn't touch anything because I actually managed to get him to eat mysis regularly. Many can be super picky and when they don't want to eat what you provide, they will turn to corals and inverts. I guess the biggest hurdle is just getting them to eat what you want them to eat, and not what you don't.

Mine is fat and is the most aggressive eater in my tank! He eats all frozen food I offer. But still hunts for things all day and night long... plucks at anything that even slightly resembles a worm.. :(

OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think copperbands eat corals. I have SPS, LPS, and anemones, and it doesn't touch them. Not sure about softies.

Edit: just saw that yours ate corals. I stand corrected
Wow I guess I’m just unlucky! I thought this was more common lol. He’s such a fatty, eats great and gets fed 2-3x per day, but still always begs for more and always on the lookout for things to eat in the tank.

Back