copperband butterfly fish feeding question

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol i would also be killed if i tried to culture any worms in my house, black worms were like $2 for a small cup full for me from my LFS and the fish ate it so i really wasnt stressing too much myself.
I really think if its eating at all it would at least be on mysis shrimp, so if you buy one eating I wouldnt stress too much

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much should i feed?
IMO as much as you can get the cbb to eat. One issue is they, at least in the beginning, are timid eaters. So you have to make sure they get food before other fish in the tank eat all of the food. I'd try to start it in a qt tank so there isn't any competition for food.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol i would also be killed if i tried to culture any worms in my house
I just have a few plastic tubs in my utility room, luckily they don't stink as long as you don't let extra food sit in there and rot. I don't have any local place to get live white or black worms so culturing my own was my only option.
My wife is okay with it, she did draw the line when I wanted to start breeding roaches for my lizards.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im lucky if im allowed to keep earthworms for 2 days before i go fishing, let alone culturing em

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while weaning my cbb i used a mesh net to let it get food using its long mouth, the other fish cant really get to it when using adequate size mysis or Lrs.
now i use a plastic solo cup with a hole cut out, cbb is a pretty smart fish and realized i was feeding through the cup in 1 feeding. my other fish are still too dumb to realize. cbb just swims inside the cup and gets his fill before the other fish get a chance

Attachments

• 20210216_134529.jpg
    20210216_134529.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210415_220223.jpg
    20210415_220223.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 49

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im lucky if im allowed to keep earthworms for 2 days before i go fishing, let alone culturing em
I don't think my wife has been in the utility room since we moved into the house. I could've just done it and she would've never known.
My wife is pretty reasonable with things like that. As long as it doesn't stink, make noise, and can't get free then she generally doesn't mind.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so feeding white worms until its full once per day would be ok?
If it were me I would probably try feeding it twice a day, but I'm not sure if that's necessary. The important thing is just getting it to eat. As for what to feed it I would try to feed what it was already eating. The live food is just something that it is more likely to accept.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh clams and live black worms. If you’re going to order one online you must have a mature tank with aptasia, spaghetti worms, amphipods, other tiny worms & micro fauna that they can use to survive until they figure out prepared food.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just nervous i will over or under feed it. is there any way to make sure its full, or will it just eat, eat and eat
The only time that over feeding is an issue in this hobby is when you are putting in so much food that your water quality suffers.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im just nervous i will over or under feed it. is there any way to make sure its full, or will it just
im just nervous i will over or under feed it. is there any way to make sure its full, or will it just eat, eat and eat
It’s not a beginner fish. It is the most challenging fish I’ve had to get eating. This include a multibar angel and 4 orange spot filefish....if your tank isn’t crawling with micro fauna from live rock (not dry rock), then the tank needs a minimum of a year to mature.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the hardest fish that I've ever had to get to eat and sadly I was not successful. Although coming on here and asking questions BEFORE getting the fish is a great start. I wish I would've done that. Mine was an impulse buy, at the time I knew a little about them and getting them to eat but not nearly enough.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are yellow longnose butterfly fish easier to care for?
There aren’t any easy butterfly fish. It is considered easier than a copperband, but still considered moderately difficult. Most butterfly fish also can get very large 7”+ and need at least 125 gallon tank. They are all also iffy in a reef tank as many of them will eat LPS coral.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back