Copperband Butterfly has single Cloudy eye with a bump on it, and looks to be scratching it.

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,

I had purchased this CBB about 4-5 weeks ago, has been feeding great, eating frozen brine, and even some mysis. I have lots of critters it snacks on as well.

as of today I fed, and noticed the CBB (although ate fine), was only facing one way, then noticed it's eye was cloudy with what looks like a white goosebump on it's eye. I see no signs of issues with any other fish in my tank.

I do have other fish in tank such as tangs that are fine with cbb. However my tiny clown goby has been chasing my cbb around (like a 4" fish to a .5" fish ??), and just noticed the CBB had a small part chipped on his rear fin.

I live in Canada and have a limited availability of medications.

I am not sure what this is, however I have this "Rally Pro concentrated formula Broad spectrum treatment for freshwater and marine fish, external parasites, dinos, velvet, flukes, clownfish disease, bacterial infection, tail and fin rot". I added it this morning as soon as I noticed. It says to add for 3 days straight, and can be added to main display tank.

For filtration I run a reefer 250 sump with a skimmer, socks, sterilizer, etc.

I have had a couple acro frags die on me due to water issues this past week and I believe it was a recent issue measuring salinity or depleted Calcium. I was running salinity as high as 36.9 ppt for about 1-2 weeks. Performed a water change last night and got it down to 35, and will attempt lowering it again. My other params after WC was 76.3F, 0 ammonia/nitrite, 5 nitrate, 8.2 ph, 8.4 dkh, 400 ca, and 1500 mg. I also dosed 50mg of Ca after noticing how low it was, hoping that would help my frags.

I'm not quite sure what to do, what it is, and what course of actions should be followed suit. Please help me out :) Thank you~ <3

Edit: Attached photos. It's a bit green due to the medication added.

Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.29.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.29.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-16 at 6.30.48 PM.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that ruby reef will do much for this, it looks like an injury with some thick mucus buildup. It may get better on its own as long as the cause of the injury doesnt happen again. I don’t think you should add antibiotics directly to your display tank, but erythromycin is commonly used for eye infections.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back