Copperband Butterfly in 40 gallon

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently battling Green turf algae and an aptsia outbreak. I've given up on trying to kill the things with lemon juice as I'm having maybe 10% success. I'm getting a tuxedo urchin and Mexican turbo snails to try and combat the turf algae and was looking into a copperband butterfly temporary to try to battle the aptasia LiveAquaria currently has small ones in stock 1 to 1.5 in. Would this be torture for this fish to be in this tank for a short amount of time, probably 6 months and either be rehomed or upgraded to a larger tank?

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Too many yes, no, or another answers. I'll just say that the first does get large and I personally wouldn't recommend it. At this state you are better off trying 5 or so peppermint shrimp, berghia nudibranchs, or a captive raised matted filefish. I say captive raised matted because they are smaller if you source from a vendor who can get BIOTA's.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to move it eventually but I kept a copperband in my first 40 gallon tank for probably 3 or 4 years. It was healthy but didn't grow much.

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you’ve done a ton of research already but this video really helped me out a few weeks ago and gave me some ideas that I hadn’t thought of before. In my experience trying to kill them with pretty much anything tends to make things worse.

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up placing an order with saltyundeground. They called back my missed call and were very helpful. Got 6 berghia nudibranch, white rock urchin, mexican turbos, a royal gramma and purple firefish coming tomorrow. Along with my yellow watchman and pair of clowns, I think that will close out my stocking till a tank upgrade! I feel better about this is they all should be readily eating and very peaceful. The copperband was making me nervous. Thanks for the help all.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back