Copperband Butterfly Sick?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of analog refractometers, and I have even had issues with Milwaukee digital refracs... did you check to see how RO/DI checked after you calibrated the meter?
That said, I doubt that 1.027 would cause an issue.
Jay

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a big fan of analog refractometers, and I have even had issues with Milwaukee digital refracs... did you check to see how RO/DI checked after you calibrated the meter?
That said, I doubt that 1.027 would cause an issue.
Jay
No, I didn't check the RODI. With everything "hobby grade" I don't know what to trust other than making sure salinity is consistent in things. My salinity was higher than usual. So, taking it down .002 got me back to normal. A couple corals were stressed, so, wanted to get that back down to the normal 1.025.

What is salt tester is trustworthy? I haven't found anything more reliable than a refractometer, but, I'm open to suggestions! My salt was high because my water change water was higher than I thought and doing 2-3 water changes a week would cause salinity to slowly creep up. Pure laziness. . .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't check the RODI. With everything "hobby grade" I don't know what to trust other than making sure salinity is consistent in things. My salinity was higher than usual. So, taking it down .002 got me back to normal. A couple corals were stressed, so, wanted to get that back down to the normal 1.025.

What is salt tester is trustworthy? I haven't found anything more reliable than a refractometer, but, I'm open to suggestions! My salt was high because my water change water was higher than I thought and doing 2-3 water changes a week would cause salinity to slowly creep up. Pure laziness. . .
I have a big glass laboratory hydrometer that I use to confirm the accuracy of my other testing methods. Your analog refractometer, if it has automatic temperature calibration should be good, just calibrate it often, and check for zero with some RO water.
Jay

Back