Copperband Butterfly transition from live to frozen foods

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a bit of a general question but specific to just one of my fish.

I recently purchased a CBB. Went through the usual feeding pickiness, until i found some live blackworms. He loves them, but unfortunately it is ALL HE EATS. Any advice on adding different foods to his diet? Or should i just be happy that he's eating the blackworms?

I have tried: live clam on the shell, PE mysis, live brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen krill, LFS, frozen calcanus
I have not tried: masstick or garlic additives

Thanks in advance

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what has worked for me twice to get them onto frozen:

I will tell you what has worked for me both times Ive had a CBB to get it eating.

Step one. You have its interest in food, now you have to convince it to eat. They love wiggly food worms are part of their natural diet, along with anemones of course. Blood worms are a good place to start, with high flow going to push them around. If you HAVE to get it to eat something Live Brine almost always works.

Step two. Once it is actually eating something, even live brine shrimp, you are getting somewhere. Start to mix in some bloodworms or even better, mysis shrimp with live brine. This will help getting it to attempt to peck at mysis. This could take several days. A community feeding response is best to get it to eat the mysis. CBB are voracious eaters when they are comfy and happy, and they legit get jealous when the see all the other fish eating what you put in. This feeding response has been crucial in my experience.

Step two and a half.
If it still will not eat mysis, try frozen angel and butterfly food. That also helped mixed with Live brine. Also take a clam on the halfshell and rubberband or wedge it into a rock, this will let them peck at something naturally.

Step three. you can buy live or frozen black worms to mix into whatever food you desire, this ususally works. After the above steps with mixing live brine into frozen it usually take only a day or two and they will eat frozen.

Now if there is aggression going on at feeding time, then the feeding response part is null and void, and I believe this is the single most important part.

Some things you can try right off the bat if you have access, just to get it to eat, beside live brine are live black worms or white worms, both will do. Also you can take masstick and stuff it into a rock crevice.

OP
OP
jnels

jnels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every day start to mix the blackworms with frozen bloodworms and mysis. Mix it up and add it at the same time. Is it in the tank alone? Feeding response helps a ton with CBB.
He is currently in the tank with a couple of clowns, an ornate wrasse and a marine betta. I pulled out my Kole tang as he was a bit of a jerk. I may try to add a royal gramma and a couple of other wrasses to show him the ropes of eating frozen.

Thanks for the advice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back